FL-36 Flash on non 4/3 camera

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RDKit, Apr 12, 2013.

1. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

I have a Oly FL-36 flash and a friend of mine needs an extra flash so the can use two bodies for an upcoming event (Pentax K-5). He asked if I might lend him my flash, saying it should work in auto mode.

Can anyone tell me:
    1) Will it work OK in auto mode?
    2) Any risk of damaging his K-5 or my flash?

Any other advise? He's helped me out before so I'd like to say yes if it's feasible.
    RDKit

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've used the F:36 on a Pentax K100D. Manual mode.

3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    It will fire on his K-5, and there won't be any possibility of damage to either the flash or the body.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You won't get TTL, and it's best to mount/dismount the flash with the camera off (to avoid the secondary contacts from hitting).

PS, if it were an incompatible flash it is usually the body which is in danger, not the flash. But you have nothing to worry about in this case.

5. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Pin question

Thanks for all the help, sounds like I can lend it to him. Is there a pin on his body I should have him tape to help protect it? I read somewhere that only the center pin is used for firing manually. If any one knows please reply I'd hate for his camera to get damaged even if he's willing to take the risk.
    Thanks again, RDKit

6. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Auto?

Sorry, just wonder if the auto (not p-ttl or ttl, but using the sensor on the flash) would work, or would it only work in full manual.

He may know because he seems more knowledgeable about flash than myself (wouldn't take much :smile:) but it would be nice if I knew the answer for a change!
    Thanks so much, RDKit

7. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I have the Fl-36r (should be almost the same). It should work on AUTO with one exception. The exception is that if the flash thinks the camera can communicate, exposure is way off. I had that happen on a Canon Gx1. They really couldn't communicate, but the flash saw something on one of the pins that made it think they were talking.

To use the fl-36, he would set his camera on either manual mode or aperture priority, setting the camera's aperture to the one he set on the flash. If using aperture priority, he needs to make sure the shutter speed doesn't go above the flash sync speed of his camera (better to use manual mode on the camera).

I've done this a few times and the auto exposure was very good.

8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I used my Nissin DI466 (FT) with a Canon film SLR without any issues (the body had very basic TTL). But I do agree that if the pins in your FL36 touch some random TTL pins on the other camera, the results can be unpredictable.

9. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks all

Thank you all so much I think I have things covered. It will be nice to help him since he's been so good at helping me learn and lending me certain filters etc.
    RDKit

10. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Just an update. My friend borrowed the flash and used it with his K5 and everything went well. Thanks for helping me help him!

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct, you can put tape over all the other pins besides the center pin for better security. :) It doesn't need to be done, but it's a good idea.