FL-300R softbox?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MichaelJC, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Has anyone found a good little softbox/diffuser for the FL-300R?

My current macro setup is to use a Metz 44 on a bracket with a small circular softbox. (the Metz is attached to the hotshoe with a cheap flash cord as it's easier than working in RC mode). This is great but now I have the FL-300R, it would reduce the weight significantly if I could use it in my macro rig. The softbox however, although small, is still way to big to attach to that tiny flash.
  2. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Coincidentally, I have been spending some time trying to figure this out recently. I've concluded that most of the on-flash softboxes (such as the Lumiquest Softbox II) won't work with the FL-300R, not so much because of size but because the shape of the flash doesn't really allow them to be mounted easily. The only solution I've been able to figure out so far uses the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer. I've placed adhesive velcro on the top and sides of the flash (being careful to avoid blocking the wide angle diffuser switch) so that the flash fires into the diffuser. When mounted on the camera hot shoe, you need to angle the flash back (so it's pointed up), and the diffuser bounces the flash light forward. It's a bit clumsy to use since the angled back flash and diffuser make it difficult to look through the EVF on my EM5. At close range, this gives noticably softer shadows, but the diffuser isn't very big so it's probably not worth messing with at greater distances. I've also used this set up hand held (or tripod or stand mounted) off-camera in "R" mode with the clip on flash that came with the EM5.
    • Like Like x 1