FL-300R on OMD

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jamesm1291, May 11, 2012.

1. jamesm1291

jamesm1291 New to Mu-43

May 7, 2012
    I was lucky enough to find both an OMD and an FL300R at the same time in order to qualify for the rebate. Actually, the rebate for May is pretty meaningless since the camera is not easily available, and when it is, the flash may not be available.

The flash does not work on my OMD. It simply refuses to be identified with the camera. On the other hand, the same flash operates perfectly with other Olympus cameras we tried out at the store and the larger 600R works perfectly fine on my OMD. Therefore, the camera flash pins are fine and the 300R easily identifies with the other Olympus cameras. My dealer, who has a lot of experience with Olympus cameras and flashes, finds the whole thing very strange but has had only 2 OMD's in so far, sold immediately, and only the one FL300R on hand, so very little experience. He has ordered another 300R and we will see what happens. I am hoping the Olympus has not made a mistake by mating a rebate flash with a camera for which it is presently incompatible. Does anyone else have experience with this?:mad:
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I had the OM-D and Fl-300 - they worked fine together in limited testing. I sold the Fl-300 because when tilted I couldn't use the EVF (was it just my big head??).

Hope the replacement works for you!
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    No problem here, 300R, 36R and the included mini flash all work fine.
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bumping this thread up again....

Just picked up the FL300R (for rebate) and it too only works in RC. It is not recognized by the OMD camera itself while on the hotshoe. I'm a bit concerned as the flash works on my E-PL1 which is leading me to believe there is something wrong with the OMD's hotshot but I cannot confirm as I do not have another Olympus flash to test.

Non-TTL flashes work trigger fine on the OMD.
  5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Huh! I couldn't get mine to work with my EPL-1. Tried everything.
  6. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Works fine on my epl3... That's weird.
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Try setting the lower sync limit to 1/60 and the upper sync limit to 1/250 on the camera.
  8. usayit

Yup.. in manual, it still doesn't work. I don't see the flash symbol in the top right of the display which seems like the flash isn't even recognized.

In Aperture priority, I also don't see the flash symbol and in the dark the camera drops the shutter way down (it shouldn't if it detected the flash) and still no flash.

In RC mode, everything works fine.

Thanks anyways... I wish I had another Olympus flash to test it out.
  9. usayit

Ok this makes no sense....

FL300R in RC
    E-PL1 Yes
    OMD EM5 Yes

FL300R hot shoe
    E-PL1 Yes
    OMD EM5 No

FL36R (my friend had one to test out)

10. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    I tried a FL36 (and YN-462) hot shoe on my OM-D and it does not work either, only the FL-LM2 works so far... Sounds like some of our OM-D's hot shoes have problems.:confused:
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    FL36 works fine on my OMD.
  12. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    OM-D Hot-Shoe Issue

I have the same issue with my new E-M5. The FL-300R worked fine for an LX3 and an E-PL2, but didn't register in the E-M5. A non-TTL flash (non-Olympus) fired fine in the E-M5 using the required Manual mode. Forum posts indicate that some E-P3 users also have this issue.

I found a kludgy workaround for my E-M5: there seems to be a micro-alignment issue in the hot-shoe. I noticed that in addition to the contacts on the seat of the hot-shoe, there are also bared metal on the shoe rails & corresponding springy contacts on the sides of the 300R base. So I tried applying pressure to shift the flash base to the side, & lo & behold it registered & worked (stayed registered after releasing pressure until next jostled, such as tilting the head to a new position; then I'd have to re-apply the pressure to "re-register".)

What works for me is to pressure the flash base, direction to the right (right, facing the back of the camera.) Pressuring left did not help. Flash movement from this pressure is *tiny*, so with current design it would not take a shoe being out of spec by much for this problem to occur.

I wonder if gently tightening the shoe rails might alleviate this, (needle-nosed pliers/ cloth between pliers & shoe to avoid marking) - reluctant to try that though.
  13. kkskkskks

kkskkskks Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    Thanks for the finding man. I currently don't have an Oly flash to try out beside the FL-LM2. I'm wondering if you put thin tape on the bared metal on the side rail, would it register without extra pressure?
  14. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    OM-D Hot-Shoe Issue

For the flash to register, I think the 300R's springy side contacts have to make contact with the bared metal on the hot shoe rails. It's possible they're not pressing tightly enough when registration fails.

To bolster this idea, I tried your suggestion of tape over the bared part of the rails, and was unable to register the flash regardless of applying pressure. After the tape was removed; the flash again registered once horizontal pressure was applied.
  15. rChaz

rChaz Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2012
    NYC Region
    This was the solution for me:

The more I used the FL-300R on the hot-shoe, the more reliable it became. I realized that the "break-in" was helping remove whatever "glaze" there may have been on the bared metal portion on the inside edge of the OM-D hot-shoe rails. I cleaned these further (gentle scraping with an exacto knife, or fine sandpaper), and now the operation is flawless; no more break in contact or lack of registration.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. T-Bear

T-Bear New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2012
    I just registered to say thank you :thumbup:

I was about to take my OM-D to Olympus service because of the hot-shoe problem but decided to Google one more time if anybody had found a solution. Just a quick rub with a fine sandpaper did the trick.
  17. rkarolak

rkarolak New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    I was in the same situation, and I came across this thread. My FL-300R wasn't working with my new OM-D, despite it working reliably with my E-P1 and my working in Remote Commander mode. I took a bit of metal (end of a USB cable) and scraped it along the metal edges of the hotshoe rails. Now my OM-D recognizes and fires my FL-300R every time.

Just wanted to confirm that this worked for me as well and say thank you. :)
  18. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I've been looking for this thread forever. I have the same problem. I'd been mulling sending my E-M5 for servicing since the warranty is coming to an end soon but thanks to this thread, I'm not. I was afraid to receive a refurb.
  19. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I was wondering why it wasn't working right on my OM-D as well!
  20. usayit

Yup... A few scrapes on the contacts of the hot shoe worked for me but it will intermittently stop communicating with the camera until I wiggled the flash on tight. I use it mainly with the EPL1 or in RC mode now. Oh well