FL-300R on my E-P2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by artsifrtsy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Got the new flash because I like the idea that it can be pivoted and that it has more versatility than my kit flash. I didn't even notice it had an RC option till i opened it today. In the camera menu I find nothing that allows me to set it for RC. Does anyone know if it is possible to operate it in RC mode with an E-P2?
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    :frown: No. The E-P2 has no RC capability, unfortunately.
  3. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Oh well, it's still a nice little unit. I can get a little bounce off the ceiling with it tilted.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Olympus cameras operate RC via the pop-up flash. That's why even pro-grade Olympus DSLRs like the E-3 and E-5 include a pop-up, wich would otherwise be odd.

This system is nice because it means you don't have to buy an extra external flash ($300-$600 minimum) just to work as a master for your off-camera flashes!
  5. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    If you Guys dont mind me adding a question... I have one:
    So if we need the pop up flash to trigger the FL300R, we also get the flash from the pop-up, right ?
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You can designate the mini flash as a commander only - or - be part of the exposure.
  7. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks for the respond.
    Another question, can I use FL300R AND the pop up flash at the same time, pop up flash for direct flash (fill in), and FL300R tilted up bounced for the ambient light ? for example in a restaurant, family dinner kinda thing. If yes, can we adjust power of each separately ?
  8. chollander

chollander New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    is it possible to designate the mini flash as commander only with the EMP-1? I wasn't able to find anything that directly allowed me to do that in the standard menus; i played around a bit with adjusting the settings (flash intensity, TTL/M, etc) differently for the popup and RC flashes, and that seemed to basically accomplish what i was trying to do, but was wondering if there was a more explicit way to configure this.

Thanks in advance!
  9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yes. Go into the RC menu, and at the very bottom, you can set the mini flash to fire or not as well as power. I'm typing this from memory, so apologies if my tip is not exact. Will check & edit if necessary. :smile:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.
    • Like Like x 1