1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FL-300r for Simple Flash Uses..

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by edwardconde, May 13, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi All,

I want to find a good flash unit for my PENs... I just tried the 600 and it seems like a great flash.. but might be more than what I need and it made the PENs a little unbalanced. So I have stared looking at the Olympus FL-300R. I am mostly looking to use for portraits of my kids and family.. nothing professional..

I did use a flash on my K-5 and really liked the result of using a flash compared to not using one indoors...

My thinking is I want something simple to setup... Something that just works and I can possibly use behind small umbrellas and mount on a light stand/tripod...

I would be using it on my E-P3..

I do like the 600 and but for the occasional use, I am thinking something a little lighter with a good punch would be enough...

Does the FL-300r fit the bill for my use?

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Could be ... you can use the pop up flash to RC the 300R (at least I can with E-M5) so the FL-300R is capable if the camera can. If have not done this a lot but enough to know that it does work!

I've got an extra FL-300R if you want to borrow it for a while and see how it works.

I also use the FL-300R off camera on a TTL cable to good effect.

3. RobWatson

I just looked at the E-P3 manual and looks like you get the same functionality as E-M5 (at least as far as flash stuff goes).

4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I have an E-P3 & FL-300R. Combo is great for indoor pictures. The only negative is that the 300R doesn't rotate backwards but RC lets you bounce off walls easy enough.

5. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Rob Watson that is very kind of you... Would you have any sample of the shots you used the 300r with?

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Vinay... Do you have any sample shots you did with the flash? Thanks

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  8. RobWatson

The interior shots were all lit using the FL-300R (on camera) on the E-M5+17mm F2.8 TTL mode.

SparkStoves - Minus

The wife really plays like she hates being photographed ...

<a href="http://minus.com/lbrHrhLSWMNdO7">
    <div align=center>
    [​IMG]"800" height="800"
    </div></a>

The above is a real quick slap two FL-300R ~10 feet flanking right and left (bare with no umbrella or gels) using RC from the E-M5 miniflash + O40-150mm lens in TTL mode as a single group. Did not quite get the setup as I'd like so there are some shadows and hard edges normally I'd fiddle with for a few minutes to resolve but it gives you the gist of the basic functionality and utility of the little flash "guns".

Kevins photos are clearly more well planned than mine but I spent ~ 30 seconds setting up.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One of the biggest differences between the FL-300R and the FL-600R is the head design. The FL-600R is one of the smallest flash units you will find which has a regular gun-style head, which is important for mounting light modifiers in order to get the most out of your flash. The FL-300R only has bounce capabilities, which is very limiting. It's not that the FL-600R has so much more power or anything like that, it's the versatility and adaptability which is important.

10. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I guess what I am looking for is a no nonsense setup.. something quick to put together to snap some shots of the kids or quick portraits.. i guess i am looking at the price also.. When i used my flash on my pentax system i mostly bounced it off the ceiling and I liked the shots i got with it.. but that was a gun style like the 600r...

I did try the 600 on my P3 but it just felt weird and unbalanced...

11. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just ordered 2 FL-300r flashes and a light stand/umbrella...

Ordered from Amazon... so i got 30 days to return if it doesn't work like i planned..

12. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I'm gonna do the same, I'm starting to explore my new E-PL5 and gonna keep my eye on eBay for one FL-300R .

13. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The prices on ebay are similar to what is on Amazon from what i found.. maybe even on here you might find something cheaper...

14. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Yep, I'm EU, prices online are more or less the same everywhere. :thumbup:

15. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi All,

So i tried my first portrait shoot with the kids yesterday. I did the whole light stand setup and had a little chair for them. I used my new flashes and they worked pretty nicely... Of course I still have a lot to learn when it comes to using flash but it was fun to try out.

Here are 2 sample images I got yesterday using the flash and my E-P3...

My Oldest.... She is a pro in front of the camera...

My Youngest... It wasn't all smiles during the shoot... :)

These were all PP'd...

Here is a blog post I wrote last night about using flash & the light stand for this shoot with the kids... Stumbling with flash... portrait shoot

16. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nice work.... If you decide to use the second flash to add a little fill,maybey bouncing off the wall remember you can put each 300R on a different channel (just A or B) and adjust the flash level for each from the camera

K

17. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah I need to get that 2nd flash in the mix.. thanks for the idea... I thought about adding a 2nd umbrella but not sure if that would give me any better results then just bouncing off the walls...:2thumbs:

18. RobWatson

If you have the room I'm a big fan of using a large mirror opposite the umbrella (umbrella subject right mirror subject left). By adjusting the distance/angle of the mirror you can get even softer and bigger fill light without adding a second flash. Does not work in all cases but sometimes it works great.

Mirror in effect
    <a href="http://minus.com/lCSeFkDp0m1NH">
    <div align=center>
    [​IMG]"500" height="800"
    </div></a>

Not exactly right but not bad. I did have a second flash in the rear with colored gel for hair effects. Flash right with mirror left.

19. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    So i went to a flash workshop last week and took my FL300Rs with me... I got a few looks and comments... :) but I took this image of one of my fellow Olympus pals... This is with the FL300R mounted on it... I have included the original and the B&W i created from it...

I really dig these little flashers!!!