1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FL-300 issue

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by woof, Nov 3, 2013.

1. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    New batteries and both lights blink on the back. This usually means low batteries. Does it whether they are new or otherwise. Never charges. Past warranty. Hardly ever used this unit.

Any ideas? Seems like a goner to me.

woof!

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Check the health on the batteries, if you can. You may also want to cycle new batteries, if they're recharageable, a couple of times--it can take a few recharge cycles before they're up to full capacity.

3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Brand new alkalines. Two different packs of the "ten year" type. Don't have rechargeables.

woof!

4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    OK, scrap heap it is then.

5. camaco

camaco New to Mu-43

Jan 11, 2013
    Same issue here, new batteries, both lights blinking away merrily. Also barely used the flash.

Annoying in the extreme. I really liked the flash, but it must be very fragile. Luckily found it for a good price, but it works out about 5 cents a pop :-(

Grrrrr.

6. johnsigs

johnsigs Mu-43 Regular

Same thing here i got it with my omd and never used it,Maybe five times

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Remove batteries, hold down "test" button for 60 seconds to discharge any residual charge then try with fresh batteries? (Assuming here that polarity of batteries has been verified...I had a car battery once that - but I digress :wink:).

Only remedy I can think of other than getting into Oly for repairs - and that's probably not a fiscally responsible solution considering the low cost of the unit to begin with. Of course you could contact Oly to see if they would give a price before seeing the unit - maybe they don't actually repair them but just swap 'em out for refurbs at a fixed cost.

Regards,

Jim

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If a flash sits unused for some time the capacitor may need to be re-formed to take a full charge. If the capacitor isn't charging up it could look like weak batteries. Turn on the flash and leave it for several hours. If there is an auto off power saving feature you'll have keep turning it back on. If you're lucky the capacitor will form and all will be fine.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Test button fix does not work. In process on reforming capacitor. Judging from the responses here, this is not just me. Overall if the unit does not reform, I am overall inclined to warn people away from this unit.