Fixing E-PL1 Video footage

Jamie

Mu-43 Rookie
Ive noticed that videos recorded with the PEN series while the quality is high at 720p it doesn't handle motion that well most of the time. I don't really know the technical term to describe what i'm seeing with the motion is. Possibly a jarring effect around the motion or jittering.

I have noticed this with a few cameras that record video (although I must say with the hacked G Panas its noticeably less). I have heard terms get thrown around like rolling shutter and lost frames. I am not sure if this is what I am seeing if the camera is on a tripod and its the subject that is in motion.

I randomly youtube's this video which kind of shows what I mean: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV3hLBbBC8&feature=related]YouTube - About love | Olympus E-PL1 movie[/ame] Check the head movement around 0:38 secs and the running. Maybe it is just my eyes :<

Has anyone ever had success cleaning this up in post-pro to make movement seem more natural and less jerky?

JohnF

Mu-43 Regular
Can't see it, it says that it contains content from UMG and isn't available in my country.

Well, I live in Germany, but it ain't my country. If it were, I'd run things slightly differently...:)

Seriously, though: I had problems working with a class 6 SD card until I broke down and bought a class 10 card. Problems went away. The class 6 worked fine up to a point, but then stumbled when the video went past around 30 seconds. It would catch up, then stumble again, showing a very slight, but visible pause in the recording. This disappeared with the class 10 card and I've done as long as 6 minutes.

JohnF

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
think you have to separate how your native video looks on your computer, and stuff from you tube which will probably have been re-encoded at some point. In particular the footage may have been shot at 30fps and encoded at 25 fps.. or vice versa

The world of video is full of weird incompatibilities

K

Jamie

Mu-43 Rookie
I notice it on my raw footage off the camera as well, Im using a class 6 card atm which I assume is fast enough. Ive heard something about the noise reduction filters playing goolies with the footage Ill try turning those settings off when I next do some filming to see if that helps. Maybe it is just in my head

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
I did see the jitters in the youtube you posted... so its not all in your head :)

Don't know what you are using to playback and edit your footage... but would check that its not doing a 30 to 25 fps conversion somewhere

K

Hapi

New to Mu-43
I did see the jitters in the youtube you posted... so its not all in your head :)

Don't know what you are using to playback and edit your footage... but would check that its not doing a 30 to 25 fps conversion somewhere

K

I see it when you pan right at 38sec as male model is looking left and right. Seems a bit choppy. I think Kevin is right.

OPSSam

Mu-43 Regular
I made a post earlier but was unable to see the video, so I am altering it. Bottom line, at low shutter speed movement looks more natural but when you start panning the camera or there are other kinds of extreme motion, you see the 'rolling shutter' effect. Higher shutter speed eliminates the rolling ('jello') effect and makes it look better with regards to panning motion etc, but it does look more jerky in general. The high speed shutter gives that modern combat footage look you see in movies like saving private ryan, etc.

Bottom line, if the camera is sitting still, 30/60 fps speed. In action shots, set it at 80 or more.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
The problem is there is no shutter while taking video. The data is streaming off the chip as fast as possible. So if there is fast movement, the image changes in mid frame and you end up with that type of shearing.

tamoio

Mu-43 Regular
Looks to me like a little bit of post-production frame rate mismatch, or possibly something incorrect in the final render to file. I only tested the Pen for video a few times and I didn't get that artifact but it is pretty typical in many of the HDSLRs (the ones I've seen) before people get their workflow sorted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom