Fixed the Cosmicar 8mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ahuyevshi, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Not bad at all.....

[​IMG]

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    not bad at all indeed what did you do , be very detailed! also details on lens and speed

3. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    could this be the same lens!!!!! as the other thread , please post pics and lots of details , thanks

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Same exact lens... Grinded the hell out of the mount with dremel.... for 30 bucks I really didn't take too many precautions... Apparently as Kai pointed out the aperture marking being perpendicular to the hotshoe is way off... This thing needed to turn 1/2 turn further.. As such the aperture marking is directly the bottom.

The shot above was 3 seconds at F/11

Here is a pic of the lens

[​IMG]

5. wilson.c

wilson.c Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2010
    Ouch! for the lens!! I just lost out on a 25mm last night on evilbay. Think it went for $49. I was looking for around $20-30 range. I would have taken it to my trusty machinist to help me cut down the edges. Be glad they did not use stainless steel in those days ;-)

6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  7. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    30 bucks... f it :)

8. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Is that a cropped and doctored image. Hard to believe no vignetting from a 8mm c-mount lens.

P.S. I have never seen a cut-down job with as much 'character' as that.

9. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    It's cropped of course... Lol ;) You should see what I can do with a clutch :)

Out of camera.. only cropped.. You get reasonable 1600x1600 shots.. Which are fine for 5x5 prints... I wouldn't go any higher...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    impressive , i do alot of dremel modifications but never a c mount lens , i used a dremel to modify my case with a 90 mm contax g mount len and to make an ebony grip also to remove stubborn lenses from 110 minolta zoom cameras , etc do you have a pic uncropped, im curious how much larger youve made the image circle with the deeper recessing vs the images in the other thread

11. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    So how wide does it compare to? Taking the vignetting in account? I have a 12,5 Meopta something, produces almost a full round circle. A rectangular cutout would be like 24mm Iirc. That's why square is a good way to use these lenses.

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Cosina, I'll upload some tonight... I set the camera to 6x6 and there wasn't much to crop.. Given the 6x6 is just digital crop anyway... I'll take a full size tonight for comparison..

Laptopprob, I honestly don't know.... Even in what's in view I't still seems wider than my CV 15mm...

13. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    This thing is Stupid Wide in the available fov... I was standing across the street was able to get a 30 story building.. Will post tonight

14. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Well done!! I knew you'd get there eventually. The rear end of your lens is... how can I put this gently and diplomatically? Oh, I know: Butt Ugly!! :rofl: But who cares what it looks like back there; you never see it while it's mounted, and the fantastic image results speaks loudly!