1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fixed Lens MFT, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by G.Sal, Apr 6, 2012.

1. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Imagine Olympus made XZ-1's 28-112mm equivalent lens f1.8-2.5 on a MFT body, would you still want an interchangeable lens system? :biggrin:

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, because that lens would be huge. I'd want to be able to replace it with something smaller when I didn't need the speed or want to carry the extra size and weight.

Fred

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    You mean a Canon G1X :)

A camera like that is meant to be a second body for someone already with a camera system, but Canon's DSLR's are already much larger, so a G1X fits for them and Nikon folks - a lot of Nikon folks bought the Canon G series.

For m43, the only thing that would make sense is what Oly did, stick it on a digicam.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    28 isn't wide enough, and 112 ain't long enough.

As fredlong pointed out, the equivalent lens for a 4/3 sensor would be, well, large.

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    No.

At this point I'm only using specialty lenses (Fisheye, ultrawide and macro), none of which are ever factored into "do-alls". I also am never happy with the bokeh of a telescoping lens, and I like it that different mfrs can compete and release different versions of a single focal length to give us a choice in the character of the glass.

That being said, I might consider renting a M4/3 version of the G1X for underwater photography which I do once every few years, and can't justify buying an expensive rig for.

6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

There already is an m4/3 version of the Canon G1X. It is called the Canon G1X.

Sensor sizes:
    Canon G1X: 18.7 x 14.0 mm
    Panasonic G3: 17.3 x 13.0 mm

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The aspect ratio is even 3x4 like m43 and compact cameras instead of the 35mm derived 2x3.

Fred

8. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    All other features being equal (or equal enough), I'd consider renting a Panasonic large-sensor/fixed lens camera (if it existed) for underwater photography over a Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Holga or whatever only because the controls would probably be more in line with what I'm used to and therefore be more intuitive to me.

If I were going diving tomorrow, I'd rent the Canon G1X.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes.. I still would want interchangeable...

Even when I had a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 available, I still found myself using a set of primes instead. There's also size factor.

If they can make a fixed camera with a 28-112mm f/1.8-2.5 then they can make an interchangeable lens camera with the same exact lens.

10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I guess so - the 14-42X + a GX1 is already fairly close (28-84), and would be a lot smaller around if it didn't have to have the OIS or the PZ motor entirely in-lens. Since Oly doesn't have to worry about OIS, they could probably make the same form factor or a little smaller and match the f/2.8 on the wide end that the Canon has.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I hear ya' loud & clear here!

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and see how fast of a compact zoom lens they were able to add to a DSLR sized sensor because of that aspect ratio? The sensor is just like APS-C size, but squarer instead of wide... which could also be said of m4/3. Finally somebody sees that what allows smaller lenses in the Four-Thirds system is not having a "tiny sensor", but rather having a sensor that better fits a ROUND image circle... instead of capturing a round projected image onto an overly oblong sensor. It's not the size of the sensor, but the shape of the sensor which is wasteful with APS-C.

Of course when Canon does the same thing, the sensor is suddenly "huge"... go figure.

Back on topic though, this type of camera is not for me. I prefer versatility. I can get a smaller and faster package with a PEN Mini and a pancake lens, but that same body can also support larger lenses of different capabilities as well. Maybe I would want the G1X style if it were built like an Olympus Tough... shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof, and crush proof. Then I could live with a fixed lens. :)

One of the biggest allures of an interchangeable lens system is that you can build a lens collection or even just purchase one single lens which is perfectly tailored to YOU. Not everybody wants a 28-112mm... the perfect "standard lens" is different for every person. After you've purchased that perfect lens or lenses for YOUR needs, you can keep upgrading bodies as technology continues to move forward and change, but you've still got the same perfect lens no matter how many new camera models you go through.

13. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    That's it for me. I could probably live with one lens, but it's not going to be cheap, so I'd expect to keep it longer than I would a camera body.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Definitely.

A lot of people seem to be missing out on the advantages of large-sensor fixed zoom compact. The GF3/14-42X kit is basically small enough to be put in a jacket pocket and used like a medium-sized P&S. Losing the interchangeable lens mount and allowing the lens to retract back into the body means you could have a substantially faster lens at no size penalty. Plus, the shutter could be put in the lens making it virtually silent.

A camera with a 16MP m4/3 sensor, a fixed 12-50/3.5-4.5 lens and a silent shutter that could fit in a pocket for $600 would appeal to a lot of folks.

The main problem with Canon's G1X is that by trying to stuff an OVF, flip screen, flash and lots of external dials into the body, they made the camera a lot larger than it needed to be. But it doesn't have to be that way.

DH

15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally if I were going fixed lens, I'd much rather do it with the Nikon 1 sensor. That would be small enough that you might be able to bolt a reasonably fast lens in.

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nothing is for free.... there are compromises everywhere. We already understand the compromises we accept when compared to a FF DSLR. We all bought into the M43 system due to an ideal balance of these compromises. When I hear higher quality with "no size" penalty, I am wondering where else are the compromises being made.

I'm not so convinced current technology can achieve the quality and complexity of let say the 9 elements in 8 groups of the 45mm f/1.8 in a medium sized P&S of a retractable lens design. Now throw in zoom capabilities it seems even more far fetched.

LX3 for example, had a great optic starting at f/2 but in return had limited zoom in an optic that did not retract completely into the body. Same goes when you compare pancake lens designs to "traditional".

17. There's no doubt that the G1X could have been smaller if Canon had chosen to make it that way, but then the G series has never been about making a camera as small as possible. The point of that series of cameras is handling and hard controls, with the G1X now finally adding absolutely smoking image quality to the package. The only thing I'd lose from that camera is the rather embarrassing OVF. If Olympus (for example) was given the same brief to create a fixed lens compact zoom using the 4/3 sensor you'd have a smaller package, but it wouldn't handle like a G1X.

18. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    a.k.a. Canon S95?

19. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    S95 still has a tiny sensor and a slow tele and lacks a external flash option.

The Fuji X10 is a bit bigger than the size of the Olympus and has a larger sensor with a fast tele.

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a fixed lens m4/3--E-P1 and 20mm.