1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fix this pls... kthnxbai!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bokeaji, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    lookin thru old photos ive abandoned in dark corners... i found this dreary tree, and thought i should adopt it and give it a new home... so i threw it thru aperture and nik stuff, but i think i went a lil crazy... lol... but i like it!

anyone else care to take a shot and make it prettier, without being crazy hdr hyper processed?

love to see your ideas!
    oh, and lemme know what you did, so i can better learn some software magic while im here! :D

heres the original, followed by my craziness...​

6897258611_718d23fe54_b.
    The Ugly Original by Bokeaji, on Flickr

6897233461_65616fd5c3_b.
    Holy HDR disaster, Batman! by Bokeaji, on Flickr

2. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    After a quick fix with Snapseed for iPad. First convert to B&W followed by the Drama filter.

a8da2dd6.

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i love snapseed... i just emailed my sister an hour ago to try and force her into downloading it... lol

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I have Snapseed on both my Mac and iPad. It has the best bangs for bucks when compared with my favourite which is Lightroom.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you have the RAW or full size JPEG, I can do better. Here's a quick version based on the image you posted in this thread:

6898146467_4aee7712ef_o.

I increased the contrast in the sky a bit (using Layers in Photoshop) and then used a Kodachrome 25 film simulation in Alien Skin Exposure.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Played around just a little in Aperture—a minor Curves adjustment to soften the highlights in the clouds and a bit of playing around in the Highlights and Shadows pane. Tried to make the overall mood fall into line with the trace of water on the path, a bit of "after the storm" or at least "after the shower" feeling.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Pretty much the same thing as above, just from the RAW file this time. It's got a bit more life from the RAW. That's a very nice shot you took—I like it a lot.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    it was part of a photo walk challenge... ep3 vs nex5n
    me and a buddy went out
    i had previously used his version to show him how easy lightroom+nik can be to make a photo a bit more WOW... i just basically opened it and clicked 1 preset in color efex, and he went "wow!"
    its now his wallpaper... lol

fwiw, the walk was a tie... his sensor seemed easier in the dimming light, but i was a bit more arty and he was a bit more P&S styled.

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't do much post processing, and rarely go into the "Highlights and Shadows" pane, mostly tinkering a little with the Recovery slider and/or Exposure when I have blown highlights plus the occasional Curves adjustment. I got prompted to try the 'Highlights and Shadows" here to try and bring up the shadow area under the tree a little in the JPEG version and it worked really well. I was surprised at how much detail there was there to bring up very easily so I must remember to use that adjustment a bit more.

I've got an E-P3 also and probably my biggest want is a bit more dynamic range but that certainly is there in your shot so I suspect it's lurking in quite a few of mine as well, I just need to go looking for it. I actually toned down the highlight range slightly with the Curves adjustment and even so, there's a lot of range in that shot. I think the E-P3 is capable of a fair bit more than I've been getting but that's not surprising given my limited experience and skill in processing.

Thanks for the opportunity to learn something more.

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    aha! clearly i should be Professor Bokeaji from now on!

so let it be written!
    so let it be done!

hehe

and yeah, ive found you can push n pull a bit more than you might think at first glance and still get something decent