1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fix My Photo CHALLENGE - The Robot Soldier Edition!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dtchan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Thanks s0nus for hosting the first Fix My Photo Challenge. Since we haven't heard back from our first place winner, vidiot72, I'll host the next photo challenge as the second place winner.

Welcome to the Fix My Photo CHALLENGE - The Robot Soldier Edition!

What: Process the photo below to your heart's content. Anything goes. Cropping, colorization, realistic, abstract. No rules. Post your version in this thread anytime before the deadline. Describe what you did! (what steps you took, any special plugins you used, etc.). Feel free to submit up to 2 versions!

When: Your deadline is November 5th, 8:00PM CST, at which point I will collect the entries and create a poll for everyone to vote.

Why: We had so much fun with the first challenge! Consider it practice. Consider it a learning experience. Consider it a teaching experience - share your knowledge! I'll probably submit my original version that I processed in 2010 and how I might have reprocess it now at the end. Our skills change overtime and I think is fun to revisit some of the old photos we took as we might have a different take on it now.

Background: This photo was taken on a trip to Ghibli Museum in Japan in 2010. For more info, visit The official site of Ghibli Museum, Mitaka in Japan - WELCOME.

And here is the Robot Soldier!
    101102_Japan_520.

Higher Resolution can be found here:
    https://minus.com/lr2v6WeZQQcPD

• Like Like x 5
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can hardly wait to find some time to work on this one. Looks fun!

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    My first try with these "Fix My Photo challenge" threads.. :smile:

I thought something along the lines of waking up and finding this menacing robot looking down at you:

ImageWorks_Robot.

Edit: Thanks for the reminder, Janine4d. I used LR, upped the black and fill light. Used the following from Color Efex 3: adjusted Brilliance/Warmth, then one of the "Contrast" things - I forgot which one, sorry - probably Tonal Contrast.

• Like Like x 3
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Don't forget the "share your knowledge" part. :smile:

This is awesome source material btw, I'm just waiting for someone to add laser beams!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Here's my entry....a little tonemapping in an HDR program. Then a bit of dodging to brighten his face up a bit more.

Untitled by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Totally forgot the laser beams!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Haha me too.... I added some sort of laser in my original one. Waiting to see if any others would have a cool take on it.

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's killing me that I'm out of town and can't properly do my idea. I'm sure it'll be stolen! Lol

- Eliot

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I could take him:cool:

10. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    monster.
    It is, basically, a black and white image level as "luminosity" over a color image lightened (lifted darks).

11. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

And here's mine:

[​IMG]

I wanted to make him look like a cg 3d model instead of a photo (think Pixar movie). That unfortunately wasn't compatible with the all too realistic looking grass, so I painstakingly masked that out... Then I applied about 1 million different photoshop and color efex 3 filters with various masks, the most interesting ones being blue gradients with soft light mixing mode (they make the middle brighter and give a vignetting look while also deepening the colours), tonal contrast (robot only), glamour glow (with preserve shadows maxed and preserve highlights about halfway, otherwise it adds too much contrast), more tonal contrast, lens blur (for the clouds, they looked too detailed and real), cross balance (to fix the blue tint)........ aaaaaand more tonal contrast. :tongue:

There are some curves, levels, brightness, vibrance/saturation etc layers mixed in too just for good measure. Here's the complete list of layers and masks:

[​IMG]

After scaling it for web I added a bit of sharpening (50% fade I think).

• Like Like x 5
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Oh my .... Really great work people !!!!!!

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    presenting this in the spirit of the forum. As a challenge on how to get the best from the tools you have.

All pp done using only the tools in Aperture 3 No plug ins no photoshop.... and on a JPEG

ir2v6WeZQQcPD.

Basic premise is that Aperture allows you to have multiple instances of adjustments and to create masks... just like layers. Its not as elegant a PS... but then again it is non destructive and didn't involve me creating a multi zillion megabyte file

Basically I seem to have brought the exposure down and shifted the balck point... not sure what that was about

Anyway the key... as always is curves

I masked the sky and adjusted that curve. Masking in Aperture works.. but does take a little effort..and I could do better next time..... and will grind slower machines to a halt. I am still on the learning curve with this.. and this example is definitely on the extreme end of what I would wish to do in Aperture alone

Screen_Shot_2011-10-26_at_00_19_03.

then created a second curve and masked the robot, and followed that up with two instances of the Colour control to tweak the colour of the sky and the robot

Screen_Shot_2011-10-26_at_00_19_22.

Finally I added final colour adjustment to add a little yellow in the highlights, as well as a little dodge

A Vignette pulled the sky in and I have no idea what the polarise brought to the table

Screen_Shot_2011-10-26_at_00_19_45.

the take away from this is that Aperture is pretty damn powerful on its own... I have no idea whether lightroom could do the same.

Plug ins can be fun... but they are there to make things easy :)

its been fun..look forward to seeing the other interpretations

K

• Like Like x 2
  14. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    a little neon glow in CS5

neon_glow.

adjusted the levels to bring out detail and hit the neon glow filter in Adobe Photoshop CS5 among other little tweaks. These challenges are fun!
    jane

• Like Like x 1
  15. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    neon_glow_converted.
    Same neon glow image converted to black and white using the blue filter in CS5.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I saw the first entry and gave up :)

17. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24032450@N05/6281692589/" title="robot1 by daimosz, on Flickr">"1024" height="627" alt="robot1"></a>

went for the anime look.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DJSponge

DJSponge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Robot

Tried to get rid of the distractions and change the angle/crop for a more dramatic pose, like he is standing over you and you're not sure if he's going to hurt you or help you... Processed in LR3; bumped the exposure/contrast, applied a "rust filter" along with a "glowing sky" filter. Sharpened and noise reduction just a wee bit.

BAM: :biggrin:
    16bnadt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Only if this were a macro shot buddy ;D

- Eliot

20. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The invasion has begun...

robot.

Following kevinparis's example above, all the PP was done in Aperture (started with a "dynamic" preset, then the sky is done with curves and color monochrome, the robot is mainly sepia tone.

• Like Like x 1