1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fix for 12-40 2.8 Pro Lens Hood Design Fault

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RogerOZ, Oct 27, 2014.

1. RogerOZ

RogerOZ New to Mu-43

Oct 18, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I have heard many complaints about the lens hood for the 12-40 2.8, and have experienced the shortcomings myself.
    On first examination, the hood seems to be substantial and well-engineered. The two release buttons give the impression that the hood will be securely locked to the lens and not easily lost. Nothing could be further from the truth. In practice, only one button at a time does anything. One locks when the hood is in the shooting position and the other one locks it in the stowed, reversed position. The buttons protrude 2mm from the hood and the springs are relatively weak.
    The end result is that if the button knocks, even lightly, against your body, the lens hood will detach very easily. I "lost" (and luckily found) mine about 4 times before I decided that I needed to fix the problem.
    I actually took the hood apart to see how the mechanism worked, but it is not necessary to dismantle it to achieve a cure.

What you need to do is to turn this:
    [​IMG][/url]LH1-1.jpg by Roger OZ, on Flickr[/IMG]

Into this:

[​IMG][/url]LH2-1.jpg by Roger OZ, on Flickr[/IMG]

Apply 2-3 layers of masking tape around the buttons to protect the hood from possible damage:
    [​IMG][/url]LH3-1.jpg by Roger OZ, on Flickr[/IMG]

Using sandpaper, files, or preferably a "Dremel"-type tool, trim at least one to two mm from the buttons to make them almost flush with the masking tape. Finish off with fine sandpaper and remove the masking tape.

You will now find that the buttons are still easy to press in enough to release the hood, but they will NOT be released accidentally.

If you remove the full 2mm protrusion of the button, you will find that you are left with a rectangular hole in the centre of the button, as in the photo. If you remove only 1mm you will avoid making the hole, but at a slight loss of security.

I modified my hood this way about one month ago and since then, using the camera every day, I have never had the hood detach unexpectedly.

TNew hoods are anything from $35 to $80, so it's a simple solution that costs nothing.

Roger Allison-Jones.

• Like Like x 7
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Have not had any problems with Oly lens hoods. Definitely have not had one drop off in the field. Can't wait for the sliding design on the 40-150 Pro which should be similar to the 60 macro.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I never had a problem with the 12-40 hood when I used it. After about a month, I quit using it because it took up a lot of space and didn't seem to help with any stray sidelight issues (there were none). I probably will repeat the same scenario when I finally buy the new 40-150 f2.8.

4. hwan

hwan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    St Louis, MO
    I agree that the hood comes off much easier than I would have liked. I've never had the problem while carrying it around though, but it does sometimes come loose when I take it out of the bag.

Another solution is to mount it upside down. That way, the release button is on the side of the grip, which is much harder to accidentally knock.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Thanks for the post and work around. I have not experienced the issues with the lens hood but if or when I do, I now know how to deal with it!