1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Five year run with the GF1

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Generationfourth, Oct 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    A month ago I upgraded and retired my GF1. Since then I’ve been combing through my collection of micro 4/3’rds photos and putting them up on flickr. I’ve discovered so many good ones and have been re-editing others. It’s going to take a long time to go through the hundreds I’ve flagged so I’ll just post what I have now. Highlights are below and the full album is here on flickr. I realize that kwalsh has done this type of post a lot better than I have a little while back.

GF1 with aki-asahi leather kit by Alan Galura, on Flickr

Prior to the GF1 I had only shot film. I was apprehensive about making the switch to a dslr camera. At the time I was shooting with a Canon Cannot rangefinder and the GF1/20mm combo just seemed like a natural fit. I loved the form factor right off the bat. My friends thought I was just messing with another old eBay camera, and dslr shooters still thought I was still shooting film!

Pleasent Valley Dam Road by Alan Galura, on Flickr

Red Rock Rendezvous
    by Alan Galura, on Flickr

Serenity Crack

The compact size enabled me to take the GF1 a lot of places I couldn't take a DSLR. This is shot 3 pitches (~400 ft) up a climb in Yosemite Valley.

Jill

I also took the GF1, 20mm pancake, and Oly 9-18 through a 16 day hike of the John Muir Trail 5 years ago. When I initially posted this on Facebook a few people commented on how dirty her hands were. While re-editing it again recently I noticed that her pants/hands were in focus and her face was actually slightly out of focus. Still one of my favorite trail portraits.

Feeble attempt at Ansel Adams

I've found that I constantly go back to my black and white roots with my edits.

Tunnel View

Black Mountain Bash 2010

Camp 4 - Steve Stearns

Night 1

Oyster Delicacy

Luna vs. Emily

Dixie wants to play in the snow

Goat Crest Saddle

Blue Lake Pass

The last two were shot on the Sierra High Route this past summer. The route is a 195 mile off trail trek through the High Sierra. The 20mm/GF1 came with me mostly for documenting purposes. It was hard to make pictures because of the amount of suffering I was putting through myself mentally and physically. I did manage to make the time to take some photographs and I'm still going through and editing a lot of them.

I have since put the GF1 to rest and replaced it with a GM5. Because of the High Route trip the photography bug has bit me again. I've added a few lenses to the line up (because of the weight savings of the GM5) and I can't wait to make photography more of a focal point to my trips. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 29
    • Winner Winner x 18
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Awesome! Great testimonial for the mighty little GF1. I see the GM5 as a spiritual successor to the line that went GF1/2 and then GX1 and then sort of went underground with the larger, more complex GX7. Awesome camera to use, the GM5.

3. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I was a bit confused when the GF2 came out and worried about the direction that micro 4/3 was headed. Then for a few years I wasn't into photography as much. When I came back I was amazed and a little confused with all of the offerings and improvements. I initially was going to get a used GX7 but at the last second sprung for the GM5. I really wish I had picked it up prior to my last trip!

They addressed every weak point of the GF1, and not only that crammed it into such a compact body that is actually more usable than the GF1!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I was a huge GF1 fan; totally disappointed by the GF2 and all that followed until the GX7. Not a huge GM1 fan; haven't used the 5, but I really see the lineage as GF1>GX7. It's funny to realize that the GX7 is basically the same size as the GF1, with exception of the viewfinder. I don't think everyone quite remembers it that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GM5 vastly improves on the GM1 ergonomics by merely adding a tiny thumb rest that protrudes a bit from the back of the camera, it barely adds anything to the size but is a major improvement to the handling.

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing all this. And really wonderful pictures. You really captured the moment.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Great shots. I've owned a LOT of cameras since my gf1. But I realized looking through my photos, that my best photography was when I was shooting JUST with the gf1 and 20mm lens. I think one is arriving in my mailbox today. I'm looking forward to it.

And looking forward to more from your eye through your new gear, too.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Geez, I get cold just looking at Night 1. That's a really good run for a digital camera. It's always good to remember what 12 Mp can do in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.:th_salute:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Great ones. Small cameras is something special. I bought a cheap gf3 just for this, combined with p20 it's great! Thank u

10. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2015
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Some really fine photo's here. Thanks for sharing. I also like the p20 as it is on my em-10 most of the time.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kind of funny how we all know we got excellent photos with our 5 or even 10 year old gear. Yet we keep wanting that next camera every year. Are my pictures any better? I don't know.

Anyway, great shots! You definitely got your money out of that camera.

12. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Awesome work mate, this will be another thread to show my non-believer mates the power of m4/3's... :2thumbs:

I still have my GF1, its in mint condition and still punching well above its weight...

13. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Great retrospective! I particularly like the strength of your compositions including people in the wilderness. Very, very nice work.

14. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    If you posted these pictures in a thread called "Five day run with the E-M1" I probably would've believed that these came out of one (an E-M1) since I don't peep pixels.

15. Dean Nguyen

Dean Nguyen Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2015
    Nguyễn Thành Nam Nguyễn
    I really admire you. It is not easy to capture nice photos like this with an old camera. You know, in my country Vietnam, I could buy a 2nd GF1 with only about 80$. It is unbelievable price for a camera. Thanks alot

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    Fantastic stuff Alan, a terrific example that simplicity is the key when it comes to equipment. Keep shootin' & rockin' the mountains!