Fitting a Mengs L Bracket to EM1.3

Since I don't want to spend a lot on my gear till I find out what is potentially happening to Olympus I elected to buy a Chinese "Mengs L bracket" originally made the the EM1.2 for my EM1.3
It is the first cheap thing I have purchased over the net that no where near fitted.
The recessed holes for a locating pins were not deep enough and the design did not let the battery door fully open. But half an hour and a bit of work it did fit.

Below door does not fully open, fouls on the L Bracket base plate
IMG_2820.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The below shows recess for the the camera base locating pins were not deep enough.
[This could cause pressure on the tripod hole leading to the socket being pulled out if the camera had a plastic body.]
IMG_2815.JPG

Drilled out the recesses below in the L Bracket below
IMG_2822.JPG

Below used a dremel to grind away the L bracket to allow the door to open
IMG_2824.JPG

Now the door fully opens

IMG_2826.JPG

The door no longer touches the L Bracket
IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG

Now just waiting for the black paint to dry

Did I get value for money? Unfortunately yes, for USD14.00 I was taking a gamble and I did get it to fit.
Am I going to leave a negative rating for the item, probably not as I knew it was a gamble. [But all my other El Cheapo L Brackets have fitted so far, Oh Well]

This is where I purchased it from
https://www.gumptrade.com/14010020601.html
The picture on the site does not show the extra mounting hole, which was a bonus. What is my biggest complaint, the black etch paint I use never stays on for long. Have to find a better paint one day.
Any know of a brand of paint that sticks to Aluminium? I use an etch primer as well.

By the time I dig the clogged Aluminium out of my bit this el cheapo item will have cost me just over an hours work. Was it worth it? That depends......................
If Olympus stays in business I will probably purchase a better one, but for now...................

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I had to modify my Chinese made one too (different brand name but same bracket). I added leather to build up around the raised tripod mounting area of the camera, although I think cork would probable be better, but yes, I had to cut back the area to allow the battery door to open too.

The picture on the site does not show the extra mounting hole, which was a bonus.
This must be the V2.0. I had MENGS L bracket for my EM1.2 and it didn't come with extra thread. That forced me to go to Promaster and eventually RRS. I still feel for $14 it's a great value.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom