1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fist 4/3 camera..finally decided to get the EPM1...some questions from a complete new

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rusty111, Jan 25, 2012.

1. rusty111

rusty111 New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2012
    First time poster here. I just discovered this forum a few days ago and found all the posts really helpful for a newbie like myself :smile:

So after debating between a few cameras (EPL3, EPM1, GX1 and NEX5N), I finally decided on getting the EPM1 due to the lower price point and its compact size. I plan to buy it in a day or two but haven't decided on where to buy from yet

A few questions:
    a) Price: I've found a small website in my country offering the EPM1 + 14/42 II kit for around $380. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

b) Checking the condition of the camera: Once I get the camera, what are some of the basic things I should look at to make sure it is in great condition? I hear some people mention about the IBIS problem on the EPM1 (not really sure how to check that), the dead pixels etc. is there a checklist of things I should watch out for so that I can get back to the seller if anything is wrong with it?

c) Lens: i'm thinking of selling the 14-42 to carry instead the 14-150 and a prime lens (probably 20 f1.7 or the 14 f2.5) because I intend to travel a lot with it and do not want to carry so many lens. Has anyone ever used the 14-150 EPM1? Is it quality of the photos as good using the 14-42 and the 40-150 separately? and in terms of size, does the 14-150 look disproportionate when put on the EPM1 because the body of the EPM is just so small?

Thanks so much guys!

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome!

1) That's a good price!
    2) My camera has the IS issue. It shows up greatly around 1/100 shutter speed. Less so at, say 1/6 or 1/500. I keep IS off, as I mainly shoot in good light. Also, on the EPM1 IS in movie mode is not good. It makes the image very jello-like.
    3) The mZD 40-150 and 14-150 are exactly the same size and very manageable on the EPM1. If IS is off, though, you need to make sure you have good light! The 14-150 and 20/1.7 are a great travel combo. I test the 14-150, 40-150 and Panny 45-200. The 40-150 was just slightly sharper than the 14-150, and didn't stop down as quickly, but overall they were pretty comparable. The 40-150 is a bit sharper at 150 than the 14-150. That's the most noticeable difference. I stayed with the 40-150 for cost reasons, and sold the 14-150 after about 16 months of use. If I could ONLY have two lenses, and I was traveling, I would get the 14-150 and 20. I've moved mainly to (relatively expensive) primes, though. Good lens, but I just moved in a different direction.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice. I love the E-PM1s, and have two now. They are really show off the primary idea behind Micro Four-Thirds - the complete functionality and capabilities of a full-sized camera, but in the form of a very compact camera.

Excellent deal. The cheapest I've ever seen them retail for is $399, which was also an excellent price and moved like hotcakes!

Haven't noticed any problems yet between two E-PM1s, in IBIS or dead pixels. One of mine is even a refurb. All you can do is take pictures with it to test things out.

Yes, it is. This is a particularly good example of an ultra-zoom and is not soft - in fact, this one may even be better than the more specialized lenses in this case. Since you're comparing with two standard grade "kit" lenses, the lens speed is also not so far off. Don't think this will be the case with all ultrazooms, though... ;)

Nope. I use MUCH larger and heavier lenses than this.