Fisheye recommendations

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
But I never really found good usage after the initial : Oh this is fun, period. Lately it has just been sitting on my shelf.

I see you have dive housings. Fisheye underwater is incredibly rewarding for close focus wide angle buuuut you'll definitely want autofocus from the Oly 8.

I also agree that the second stage shot is really awesome. So much emotion!

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Wow that second shot particularly is fantastic! I think the Oly is the lens to have, it does everything all other fisheyes do and does it better. Sadly, I'm not a professional photographer and the fisheye is only about maybe 5-10% of my shots at most, so the Samyang will do me well for now.
Thanks, I love the samyang and would not feel the need for the Oly if it wasnt for the bad and lowlight conditions of concerts. I think you will be plenty happy with the Samy and certainly am except for that bit of extra speed... but then that basically the story of all my gear... just that little something extra would be nice to have and someyimes I feel a bit like chasing my own tail :)

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I see you have dive housings. Fisheye underwater is incredibly rewarding for close focus wide angle buuuut you'll definitely want autofocus from the Oly 8.

Thanks, I really found it fun to play with the FE at the show, I had initially only put it in my bag in case of ... I dont really know, but it turned out to be the most fun lens of the evening. would love to use it next time and get some more close ups but I worry I will miss focus if I go too close.

Yes I would love to have the Oly for underwater shooting, but that would also require a domeport which is on my list, but that is a lot of money for a very special situation and Ultrawide UW is just damn difficult.

I actually think MF could work UW with the Samy as long as you dont shot eanything closer than 3 feet, but the Oly close focussing would just be great

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I love fisheye lenses. I ran the Samsung/Rokinon/Bower for some years and loved it but upgraded to the Olympus a while back. The Olympus is definitely the better lens - as sharp at f1.8 as the Samyang at f3.5 and you get AF and EXIF. For wide field Astro there is probably no better lens.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I love fisheye lenses. I ran the Samsung/Rokinon/Bower for some years and loved it but upgraded to the Olympus a while back. The Olympus is definitely the better lens - as sharp at f1.8 as the Samyang at f3.5 and you get AF and EXIF. For wide field Astro there is probably no better lens.
What Kind of shots can you do with the extrem close-up focus capability? I am thinking this could be very useful but I am having a difficult time imigining what I would look like when shooting people? Also what Kind of DoF do you have at 1.8 and close up?

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I actually think MF could work UW with the Samy as long as you dont shot eanything closer than 3 feet, but the Oly close focussing would just be great

Problem is also the manual aperture. To control both you would need to control gears (and you would need to 3d print them yourself). Focus on land is different than UW so prefocussing on land probably won't work. Once you find the correct focus, you can probably just let it sit there, but it would take a few dives testing everything out.

Not worth the fuss. Auto aperture is the reason I find the new Laowas so interesting. They make interesting lenses for UW (both the macro and the new wide).

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Problem is also the manual aperture. To control both you would need to control gears (and you would need to 3d print them yourself). Focus on land is different than UW so prefocussing on land probably won't work. Once you find the correct focus, you can probably just let it sit there, but it would take a few dives testing everything out.

Not worth the fuss. Auto aperture is the reason I find the new Laowas so interesting. They make interesting lenses for UW (both the macro and the new wide).
Interesting, You dont think the Samy trick of chosing F4 and focus close to infinity (which is basically what I do on land) will work UW?

Glawsder

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Deryck
Another vote for the no-name £50 ebay f3.8 8m Fish-eye. It's manual, but you rarely need autofocus at 8mm. Surprisingly good, great fun and so cheap.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have old Samyang 7.5mm and I want to buy 8mm Oly f/1.8 in the future (for astro) as fisheye is indispensable part of my travel kit.
Samyang (Rokinon) is great lens and with IBIS slow aperture isn't such problem as I can go up to 1 second exposures with E-M10II.
But after 4 years of usage focus began to behave weird and then I found that front ring (which hold front part of lense) is loose. I tightened three screws and lens is fine again.
I have also cheap Meike 6.5mm f/2 which doesn't feel faster as it should be and aperture ring doesn't work until f/8 but at least it produces beautiful stars at f/8+.

E-M10II + Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5.

P6281659.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting, You dont think the Samy trick of chosing F4 and focus close to infinity (which is basically what I do on land) will work UW?

I'm honestly not sure, but behind a dome port you need to focus on the virtual image that the dome port creates which is much closer. I don't think focussing close to infinity would work. Once you find the correct focus you can still work with fixed focus for sure.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I'm honestly not sure, but behind a dome port you need to focus on the virtual image that the dome port creates which is much closer. I don't think focussing close to infinity would work. Once you find the correct focus you can still work with fixed focus for sure.
Makes sense and it would be awful to realize this after a dive. It would be a hazzle to find the sweet spot for UW if you cant find the gears to adjust UW but not sure they are available for printing anywhere. Taking it to the pool to test might work. Might try and do a google search to see if anyone has used the samy underwater.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's not hard to design gears to print yourself. I've done it for multiple lenses. But considering the available alternatives it's just not worth it.

I'm considering trying it out with the new Laowa 10mm.

exnihilo

Mu-43 Rookie
I've owned and used the 7artisans, Olympus 1.8, and the Pansonic 3.5. They each have distinct pros and cons IMO. For the 7artisans, the pros are: low price, very nice build, compact, somewhat fast, easy to use, pretty good IQ. The three main cons: first, not very sharp. I had to stop it down pretty far to get only decent sharpness in the corners. For some applications, this wasn't really a big deal (i.e. night shots with no major action in the corners), but for others it was (i.e. a shot of a pool table and suchlike). Second, no autofocus. Third, does not take filters. For the Olympus, you get the fast 1.8 aperture, the build is fantastic, IQ is great, autofocus, and on some bodies you get the in-camera defish. Much sharper in the corners than the 7artisans. The cons: price, size (80mm) and weight (314g), does not take filters. Also, a touch slow focusing, especially in low light, compared to some other Oly lenses, but this might just be a copy issue. Finally, there is the rarely discussed Panasonic fisheye. Pros: very sharp (some online tests have it ahead of the Oly, I didn't pixel peep to check), very compact (52mm), super lightweight (165g), autofocus, and accepts filters (rear of lens). Cons: seems to have more purple fringing on Oly bodies, not very fast, some might not like the plastic build (although the focus ring is smooth). With respect to price, used copies can be found for 400-500, but YMMV. New it is only slightly less expensive than the Olympus. I can honestly recommend all of these lenses; however, given the age of the Panasonic, I'm not sure that the asking price for a new, non-gray copy can be justified. On the other hand, if you can find it used or gray, I find it to be a really unique and great lens.

Rick Waldroup

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Stefan, those concert shots are excellent. Great use of the lens. I could look at these all day. Post some more whenever you can.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend

And a lot of sitting down! Must be a Denmark thing.

I don't have much to add to this thread except in addition to the 9mm body cap lens from Olympus, I still own and occasionally use the old Peleng 8mm. At the time I bought it in the 4/3rds days there were not the many small & cheap alternatives we have now. The Peleng is a big heavy metal & glass beast, but it is an excellent performer. Looks like they still sell it if anyone is interested... https://www.peleng8.com/

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
  • Olympus 8/3.5 (4/3) - not so sharp, lots of purple-fringing, cheap, AF, slowish aperture, weather-sealed

I've had two of those and both were absolutely sharp as can be even wide open and had less purple fringing than most other fisheyes I've used. I must have got lucky! Definitely a bit of a big weighty lump when on a little mirrorless camera though, although does have the advantage that it's so big that the front element is far enough out from the body to cut down on getting your own fingers in shot if you have a camera with a grip!

I currently have a Samyang, and it's a great little lens. Nice and sharp, easy to just keep in my pocket and fills all my current fisheye needs.

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ideally, I'd want sharp, cheap, AF, and fast aperture in that order. If it weren't for price, the Olympus 8/1.8 seems like a no-brainer

There's only two AF choices and neither are cheap. Cheap options are all MF. All are f3.5 or slower except for the Sigma and Oly 8/1.8.

Since sharpness is your #1 criteria and cost is the only negative, the Oly 8/1.8 wins.

But you knew that as soon as you created your list.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Stefan, those concert shots are excellent. Great use of the lens. I could look at these all day. Post some more whenever you can.
Thanks Rick, Much appreciated. I have only just recently gotten into "real" concert photography after having smuggled my E-pl5 with 20mm Pany or 45mm Oly in my pocket fro years living with the challenge of shooting from the middle of the crowd not being able to move and having to do it it more or less clandestine. But this year I decided to see if I could get some real gigs and thus be allowed to bring my "real" gear :). So now I got a gig with an online magazine and am in dicsussion with a concert place to do more photography for them, but I will look into creating a post one of the days with some of my shots, but only ever did this one show with the FE.

(i did a post some time ago with my undercover camera and lenses.)

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower (check all 3 names, sometimes - inexplicably - one will be significantly cheaper than the other two) is excellent. You don't need AF for a fisheye. You can literally put the focus to 1 or 1.5m and never touch it again, the DOF is so huge. If you want to focus and you miss focus? Who cares? You have an almost unlimited margin of error.

The S/R/B 7.5 is small, cheap, and incredibly sharp with great contrast and colours. It is absolutely without faults. Sure, f3.5 is kind of slow, but I have not found it to be a limiting factor. I've used it a ton for travel, architecture, star trails, etc, and it's never disappointed!

Latest threads

Top Bottom