Fisheye recommendations

I bought the 9-18mm used and really liked it. So I sold that and bought the 8mm 1.8. I really like it and use it all the time, it was my second most used lens for the 4th year in a row :) . I would say buy a cheap lens (I lost $0 on the 9-18mm) and if you like it go for the 8mm 1.8.

-Joe

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Any ideas on why the Oly 8/1.8FE has such a small, high priced used market? Everything used on eBay is very near MSRP from Japan. Some are even more so? :wtf: I saw one on Roberts/UsedPhotoPro that was going for $500 but was absolutely beat to hell; the previous user used sharpie to make it black again; sold within 3 days.

It's not as if this lens is out of production.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I saw one on Roberts/UsedPhotoPro that was going for $500 but was absolutely beat to hell; the previous user used sharpie to make it black again; sold within 3 days.
If it worked fully, despite its cosmetics, that is a pretty good price. Isn't the normal price $1k for this lens? How do those places sell any at those markups? Just checked B&H and Adorama and both have it in stock for $1k usd.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
If it worked fully, despite its cosmetics, that is a pretty good price. Isn't the normal price $1k for this lens? How do those places sell any at those markups? Just checked B&H and Adorama and both have it in stock for $1k usd.
Yeah it was a good price. I was really on the fence since it was so beat up with a scuffed lens hood. [strike] Just found one in very good cosmetics on a different forum classified for the same. 🤞 Seller recently offloaded a huge diving Oly kit; this must be one of the last bits that couldn't go.[/strike] And yes, the lens is both in stock with Oly/BH/Amazonat $1k usd and going for $900-980+ usd on eBay. Absurd!

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
and going for $900-980+ usd on eBay. Absurd!
At those prices, ya going retail new is the way to go. For me "used" means "used pricing" and should be closer to $700. I don't think you can look it up anymore, but Oly has fixed repair pricing and if you went to their repair portal you could look up exactly the price for repair for a particular lens of body was. In my mind the used price should be the retail price minus the repair price or lower just in case something went wrong with it soon after buying.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Any ideas on why the Oly 8/1.8FE has such a small, high priced used market? Everything used on eBay is very near MSRP from Japan. Some are even more so? :wtf: I saw one on Roberts/UsedPhotoPro that was going for $500 but was absolutely beat to hell; the previous user used sharpie to make it black again; sold within 3 days.

It's not as if this lens is out of production.

View attachment 868154
I guess this is a bit of a novelty lens with a limited user group. Maybe that means fewer people are reselling the lens (because you only buy this if you really need it at the price - if FE is just for fun you might go for the Samy or rokinon) and more people looking for a good deal (I guess some people would like the AF and speed for fun if they can find a reasonable deal) because it is a bit of a novelty - thus the used market suffers from low supply/high demand. Why some sell used at higher price that the listed price seems odd, but if they can get away with it :)

I will order one this week as there is a cashback of 180 USD in Denmark right now, which means I can get the lens for 960 USD

Perhaps the used price has gone up because of home use? I found mine on Fred Miranda in 2018, and only paid $525 for an almost new copy. A fisheye is also a love it or hate it lens. While I don’t consider the Oly 1.8 to be large, it is about twice the volume as the Samy/Rok/Bower.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Gee, it seems as though the price went up a lot recently. I purchased a used one from B&H on 4/19/20 for $719 (condition: 9 - "Shows some signs of use; may exhibit minor scuffs or surface marks but overall looks very clean"). It seemed like a good price at the time, and now it looks like it really was. The condition is very nice, at least as good as described.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Regular
Not only has used price been hovering around MSRP but there also isn't a lot of stock on eBay right now. Mostly just the Japan shops that continually list.

Also the 8FE I was gunning for was sold moments before the seller read the email. But now buyer is getting wet feet because they don't understand how underwater photography works. :roflmao:🤞

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The main draws for me with the 8mm f1.8 were the autofocus, auto-aperture and fast f1.8 maximum aperture. The thing that makes it even more useful either in-camera or using Olympus Workspace is the ability to easily defish images all the way to 8mm rectilinear. It's a really fast super wideangle lens if you need it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The thing that makes it even more useful either in-camera or using Olympus Workspace is the ability to easily defish images all the way to 8mm rectilinear.
Ya that was the one feature that has made me consider this lens over the years.

Fish Eye photography is fun but can get to be a bit limiting/sameness where it can be hard to find new creative ways to take pictures. So I tend to shoot for a while, get bored with it, then not touch the FE for a year then revisit it again. So the cheaper manual fisheyes are fine for this.

But like you said, when Oly put in de-fishing in camera and in workspace, now that lens is not simply a FE anymore. Since my widest reticular lenses are 12mm, the Oly 8mm de-fished would add an even wider "reticular" to my lineup. But the price has always put me off. One day maybe though.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
But like you said, when Oly put in de-fishing in camera and in workspace, now that lens is not simply a FE anymore. Since my widest reticular lenses are 12mm, the Oly 8mm de-fished would add an even wider "reticular" to my lineup. But the price has always put me off. One day maybe though.
Interesting news that Workspace has defishing. I have always used Anglerfish:
http://www.anglerfish.ajotte.com/index.php
but will give OWS a try.

There is another thread about FE lenses. In it I have some samples of what happens to the edge of defished images (BLURRY!!), so this is a somewhat limiting factor. My thoughts start here (and the samples are in a post further along):
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/dilemma-8mm-f-1-8-pro-fisheye-or-7-14mm-f-2-8-uwa.108031/post-1372801

Edit: I just reread my earlier postings. Apparently I did know that Workspace had defishing but forgot till now. Well, now I know again!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Edit: I just reread my earlier postings. Apparently I did know that Workspace had defishing but forgot till now. Well, now I know again!
One thing to check, because I am not sure how it is now, but in the past Oly has this thing where their older software (what was it before Workspace, "Master"?) they would update it to add new features supported in new cameras so you could apply the same things to RAWs on the computer as you could in the camera, but ONLY if the raw came from a camera that supported that feature. So if you wanted to apply an art filter to raw files from an older model that didn't have art filter, the SW would not let you. So I wonder if the same thing is try for the 8mm de-fishing. If your camera does not support in camera de-fishing then are the raws locked out of this feature in Workspace?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
One thing to check, because I am not sure how it is now, but in the past Oly has this thing where their older software (what was it before Workspace, "Master"?) they would update it to add new features supported in new cameras so you could apply the same things to RAWs on the computer as you could in the camera, but ONLY if the raw came from a camera that supported that feature. So if you wanted to apply an art filter to raw files from an older model that didn't have art filter, the SW would not let you. So I wonder if the same thing is try for the 8mm de-fishing. If your camera does not support in camera de-fishing then are the raws locked out of this feature in Workspace?
That's a good question. It almost seems that it WOULD be limited to raws that came from a camera with the feature. Makes (stupid) sense! The software probably just does what the camera would do - i.e. no tweaking, unlike a regular defishing tool. Next time I've got my E-M10.2 and the FE out (which would be a first time), I'll try it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom