1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

fisheye lens question.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gabriel86, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Gabriel86

Gabriel86 New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2013
    Hello guys i am new here and i have few questions,i recently bought 2 micro 4/3 cameras ( Lumix GH2 ) i bought these cameras for video and i am planning to pick a fisheye... one of my friends is selling me two rokinon 8mm F3.5 (canon and nikon mount)fisheye's for little money,i know i shouldn't be cheap and pick myself a rokinon 7.5 for micro 4/3 lens mount or the official panasonic one..but i want to know if i buy these two fisheye and i use them with adapter what is field of view i am going to get ? 180° ? or less? thanks :smile:

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Gabriel, I looked at the specs of two Rokinon 8mm lenses for APS-C Canon (Rok #FE8M-C) and Nikon (Rok #AE8M-N) respectively on the B&H website and they cited 167 degrees for he Canon lens and 180 for the Nikon lens. Personally, since they both specify APS-C size sensors, I don't understand the difference (and with that nothing can be guaranteed as far as I know). Because the sensor on the Mu43 is smaller than the APS-C, it should follow that the field of view is going to be less than that when those lenses are used on the Nikon and Canon. It won't be much less, but it will be less. Maybe some other folks with more experience with these exact lenses can help a bit more.

3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The Nikon DX cameras use a slightly larger sensor than the "APS-C" Canon models hence the difference in coverage. The "APS-C" label is often rather loosely applied to both as they approximate that size though are slightly smaller. All digital "APS-C" sensors are smaller than the film format with Canon's being distinctly smaller than the rest. Most have crop factors between 1.52 and 1.54. Canon's crop factor is 1.6.

True APS-C = 25.1 x 16.7mm
    Nikon DX = 23.6 x 15.8mm
    Canon = 22.3 x 14.9mm

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Here is a discussion over at dpreview - looks like it will be approximately 140 degree FOV on the m4/3 sensor (same as 4/3):

Yes, Samyang 8mm is only 140 degrees on 4/3": Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Perhaps it might be a good idea to pick one of your friends lenses up, and then the native m4/3 7.5mm fisheye? Then you'll have 2 very wide but different fisheye views that might be beneficial for certain shots (unless you were intending to use the lenses in tandem for edited footage, which might make the switch in FOV weird...I dunno, not much of a videographer myself!).

5. Gabriel86

Gabriel86 New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2013
    Thank you guys so much,i really appreciate the answers!