1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fisheye lens options.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sebs_color, Mar 19, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    I have been looking around ebay, but before I commit to anything, does anyone have any input on being a used (cheap) fisheye lens that can be adapted to m43?
    Looking to spend less than $75

If that's unlikely, please let me know
    Thank you!
    -seb

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Olympus fisheye lens cap

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Any full frame or APSC fisheye will no longer give a fisheye look if adapted to ยต4/3 (You crop out the edges of the image). I suspect prices will be over $75 for them too.

There are numerous wide angle or Fisheye adapters on e-bay (from ~$25) these screw on the front of your lens and can give a usable fisheye look to a kit lens. Many will vignette beyond the typical circular fisheye at the 14mm yet give full coverage before 40mm. Acheivable FOV will vary considerably on the actual adapter.

IIRC the bodycap fisheye is typically ~$100, and gives great images if you can live with the constant f8 aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Most legacy fish-eye lenses won't work that well on MFT, and will cost more than $75. There are a bunch of cheap adapters that screw on to the filter threads of a lens, by companies like Vivitar and Opteka. I wouldn't expect a very good image quality though -- more of a novelty type thing.

For $99 you could get the Olympus 9mm fisheye bodycap lens. I've heard good things about it, but it will still have less than idea image quality and is a fixed f/8 making it less useful indoors.

If you have a compatible Panasonic lens, their fisheye converter is a better quality than the cheap ones on Ebay, and you can get it under $100:
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-GFC1-Fisheye-Conversion-Aspherical/dp/B007OS1YW4

The Olympus version is too expensive, at about $160. I'd avoid it because for a bit more you could get the far superior Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 7.5mm.

Personally, I ended up just saving my money and getting the 7.5mm. It is a wonderful lens.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bower-Ultra-W...&ie=UTF8&qid=1395320290&sr=1-3&keywords=7.5mm

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Screw on examples

The screw on adapters are very variable in quality, but can work if your budgets tight.
    I'm not sure which one it was with but I've got a few images on-line using one of my older ones. (I think it was ~0.4x) On this one a lot of the image gets cramped into the edge rather than an even spread.

5169690447_63009b19f9_q.
    Blue moon by Analyst 1, on Flickr

5169689277_0495c9f584_q.
    Stour fish by Analyst 1, on Flickr

6. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Thanks for the help!
    How do you like that bower lens?

Maybe I'll just be patient and save up for that one if it's one you can vouch for.
    Would you happen to have any images to share?

Thanks again!

And thanks to everyone for all the info! The help I get in this forum is amazing.

7. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon