1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fisheye converter on the 17mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Simon Larusso, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Simon Larusso

Simon Larusso New to Mu-43

Oct 29, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Hi all

I am just wondering if anyone knows if the Olympus fisheye converter (FCON-P01) will work with the 17mm 2.8 pancake?

It says that it fits the new 14-42mm kit lens which I have seen has then same filter thread size as the pancake (37mm). But the Olympus website just says it is for the kit lens.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't work on the pancake lens?

Thanks

2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    My strong hunch is that because it's optimised for use at 14mm, what you'd see at 17mm is an ugly, uneven stretch and probably some softness at the centre of your images. If Olympus thought they could sell some of these adapters to existing lens owners, they would have marketed them in that way. There are cheap and nasty alternatives available that carry less of a risk of disappointment. Don't bother would be my advice.

3. Simon Larusso

Oct 29, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Okay thanks for the information.

Now my decision is whether or not to buy the new 14-42mm kit lens. I only have the 17mm and a few manual focus legacy lenses. Wanted to wait and see what the new "pro" lenses from Olympus are going to be like, but I have a feeling they will be expensive.

4. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Simon, if the promised M Zuiko Digital 12-50mm lens is anything like as good as the Zuiko Digital 12-60mm lens (four thirds), it would be relatively expensive no doubt, but despite that probably become the most sought after micro four thirds lens on the market. Most people end up using one lens predominantly and therefore it's important to choose wisely and that is particularly important when your budget is tight.

5. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Postscript: That 12-50mm lens will actually be a Panasonic, so it's bound to be expensive. Sorry, my mistake earlier.

6. Simon Larusso

Oct 29, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Basically I have money from a bonus burning a hole in my pocket. I would like to get a new lens for my E-P1. I have some good legacy Pentax lenses that give excellent results but I really struggle with focusing them.

Therefore I am eagerly awaiting the new lenses coming from Olympus and Panasonic. The problem is the rumors are hinting that the new lenses will be on the expensive side.

I don't know if I can justify spending a lot on a "pro" lens compared to about £270 for the new olympus kit lens when photography is a hobby and not my job. I would love to splash the cash, but just scared to do so.

7. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi Simon,

I'm pretty sure the 14-42 Mk II kit lens uses a new bayonet fitting for the new macro & fisheye converters, so while those converters "might" work with the 17/2.8 using a homemade adapter, I wouldn't bank on it being a go-to solution.

I spent my (pre-) christmas bonus on the Pana-Leica 45/2.8, so kinda know the feeling of "imminent purchase coming, nothing can be done" and like you was previously shooting with a pancake (in my case the 20/1.7) and a few legacies I had laying around.

I'm not suggesting you buy the pl45/2.8, as whats right for me might now be right for you - but I would suggest that you play with a couple of lenses in a nice photography shop, and then buy the one you like based on focal length and apeture; going for the highest quality one you can sensibly afford. (not necassarily from that the same shop, £$etc still counts.)

I think if you have a wife / girlfreind, it is worthwhile discussing the desicion too :smile: although some trains of thought would suggest the opposite.

Over the next 18 months Carl Zeiss, Schneider-Kreutznach, Sigma, and who knows who else will start to release lenses in the m4/3 mount, so by all means hang onto your cash and wait it out - but remember high IQ fast zooms are always going to be big and expensive. Always.

8. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
  9. Simon Larusso

Oct 29, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I keep staying to myself that I need to keep my head and not spend loads of my cash on a lens that I am sure will give excellent results but that might not justify the money for how much I am going to use it.

So I think a good ball park figure for me is £200-300. Therefore this limits me to a few lenses. 14mm and 20mm pancakes from Panasonic and the 14-42mm mark II from Olympus (the Panasonic kit lens is too big and doesn't suit the camera to me). I feel the pancakes have a FOV that are too close to the 17mm I already have.

So that leaves me with the 14-42. I prefer fixed lenses as they force me to think a bit more. But seems like this lens is my only option at the moment. Unless new lenses are released within my price range.

The other thing I noticed was the four thirds 25mm f2.8. With the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter it comes in at about £300. Does anyone have any views on this lens? Will it be slow a focusing like most of the four thirds lenses?

Thanks again.

10. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
  11. I can't remember the last time I was consulted on a handbag or shoe purchase, so I'd say opposite :wink: