1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First World Problem

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by banj911, Nov 18, 2014.

1. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    I have a problem that's nice to have.

My pre-loved MMF-3 turned up today and to my delight it operates as described.

My problem is that now I need to choose between my 14-54mm or 12-60mm as my standard zoom lens for my E-M1. The 12-50mm is small and light, but too slow, especially at the long end.

I was planning to move the 12-60mm along with my E-3 and E-520 to help fund the E-M1. Trouble is, it's wider, longer and focusses faster so would seem the better option.
    But, it's heavier, larger and marginally slower at comparable focal lengths than the 14-54.

It's also likely that I would get a little more for the 12-60 to help cover the cost of the E-M1.

I think I will probably keep the 12-60 at this stage.

What would you do?

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Sell the lot and buy a GX7 and Panasonic 12-35 2.8? Ok wild idea aside I would keep the lens you would prefer to use, even if it would put more money in your bank.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Same decision process for any two similar length lenses. First choice is the one that allows me to create images that come closest to what I saw in my minds eye before shooting. But if If that lens was substantially heavier, and it was a focal length I intended to travel with, well ... I don't know because I haven't had to make that decision yet.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The 12-60mm will be the faster focussing lens on the E-M1, being SWD equipped. It's also newer in design, with better elements. I think you'll find the 12-60mm to sit and work very nicely with the E-M1.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    We only deal with third world problems here, surely you know that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You may find the 12-60 will focus better than the 14-54 (II?) on the E-M1. My 14-54 II lens on the E-M1 is embarrassing at times as it struggles to find focus (with indistinct subjects in low light) but does fine on the E-M5 that uses CD-AF instead (of PD-AF).

7. Ross the fiddler

Does that means he has to consider a fellow in need? I think I 'need' a 12-60 lens. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Oh, :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

• Like Like x 1
  9. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    Thanks for your input guys, I will take a few days and get some typical shots and see how I go.
    I recently had the aperture mechanism in the 12-60 replaced so I think I'll get my value for money and stick with it.

I have noticed that the 4/3 lenses make a constant clicking noise, like the aperture is constantly working as it is moved around to adjust for changing lighting. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Cheers

Bandy

10. Ross the fiddler

Sounds like a good move with that lens. As far as the aperture blades making that clicking sound, that can easily be stopped by going to Menu *D & Flicker reduction & selecting OFF.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd keep the 12-60, but that's because most of my shots are at the wide end, and I find 24mm EFL vastly more useful than 28mm EFL. The 12-60 is also considerably better at the wide end than the 14-54 and indeed probably the best 24-100mm+ zoom available for any camera.

But you should probably choose based on what you shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    you think you've got problems ... man I'm stuck between choosing Grand Marnier and Pimms liquer in my Chocolate Mousse tonight!

(naturally vanilla icecream on the side)

• Like Like x 2