First World Problem

banj911

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bennet Duhig
I have a problem that's nice to have.

My pre-loved MMF-3 turned up today and to my delight it operates as described.

My problem is that now I need to choose between my 14-54mm or 12-60mm as my standard zoom lens for my E-M1. The 12-50mm is small and light, but too slow, especially at the long end.

I was planning to move the 12-60mm along with my E-3 and E-520 to help fund the E-M1. Trouble is, it's wider, longer and focusses faster so would seem the better option.
But, it's heavier, larger and marginally slower at comparable focal lengths than the 14-54.

It's also likely that I would get a little more for the 12-60 to help cover the cost of the E-M1.

I think I will probably keep the 12-60 at this stage.

What would you do?

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sell the lot and buy a GX7 and Panasonic 12-35 2.8? Ok wild idea aside I would keep the lens you would prefer to use, even if it would put more money in your bank.

dancebert

Mu-43 Veteran
Same decision process for any two similar length lenses. First choice is the one that allows me to create images that come closest to what I saw in my minds eye before shooting. But if If that lens was substantially heavier, and it was a focal length I intended to travel with, well ... I don't know because I haven't had to make that decision yet.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The 12-60mm will be the faster focussing lens on the E-M1, being SWD equipped. It's also newer in design, with better elements. I think you'll find the 12-60mm to sit and work very nicely with the E-M1.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
You may find the 12-60 will focus better than the 14-54 (II?) on the E-M1. My 14-54 II lens on the E-M1 is embarrassing at times as it struggles to find focus (with indistinct subjects in low light) but does fine on the E-M5 that uses CD-AF instead (of PD-AF).

banj911

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bennet Duhig
Thanks for your input guys, I will take a few days and get some typical shots and see how I go.
I recently had the aperture mechanism in the 12-60 replaced so I think I'll get my value for money and stick with it.

I have noticed that the 4/3 lenses make a constant clicking noise, like the aperture is constantly working as it is moved around to adjust for changing lighting. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Cheers

Bandy

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Thanks for your input guys, I will take a few days and get some typical shots and see how I go.
I recently had the aperture mechanism in the 12-60 replaced so I think I'll get my value for money and stick with it.

I have noticed that the 4/3 lenses make a constant clicking noise, like the aperture is constantly working as it is moved around to adjust for changing lighting. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Cheers

Bandy
Sounds like a good move with that lens. As far as the aperture blades making that clicking sound, that can easily be stopped by going to Menu *D & Flicker reduction & selecting OFF.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I have a problem that's nice to have.

My pre-loved MMF-3 turned up today and to my delight it operates as described.

My problem is that now I need to choose between my 14-54mm or 12-60mm as my standard zoom lens for my E-M1. The 12-50mm is small and light, but too slow, especially at the long end.

I was planning to move the 12-60mm along with my E-3 and E-520 to help fund the E-M1. Trouble is, it's wider, longer and focusses faster so would seem the better option.
But, it's heavier, larger and marginally slower at comparable focal lengths than the 14-54.

It's also likely that I would get a little more for the 12-60 to help cover the cost of the E-M1.

I think I will probably keep the 12-60 at this stage.

What would you do?
I'd keep the 12-60, but that's because most of my shots are at the wide end, and I find 24mm EFL vastly more useful than 28mm EFL. The 12-60 is also considerably better at the wide end than the 14-54 and indeed probably the best 24-100mm+ zoom available for any camera.

But you should probably choose based on what you shoot.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
you think you've got problems ... man I'm stuck between choosing Grand Marnier and Pimms liquer in my Chocolate Mousse tonight!

(naturally vanilla icecream on the side)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom