First week with the OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by titanaircraft, Nov 24, 2012.

1. titanaircraft

titanaircraft New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Brandon
    I recently received my refurbed OM-D from Cameta and have been setting it up and testing it over the last week. Also picked up a brand new Pan 25mm 1.4. So far so good, here's what I've come up with so far.

1. It's tiny. Ergos are growing on me, but gotta get the grip.
    2. The 25 is fast, accurate, and sharp. Sharper than any of the Canon lens I had. Only get a little rattlesnake noise when I go to Video mode.
    3. Way better AF than the Canon T3i or 60D I had. Nice to be able to use all of the screen to focus, not just the center square.
    4. AWB once again better than the Canon's I had.
    5. Clip-on flash surprisingly good. Take a 3x5 card cut it in two, some black foam, add a rubber band, and instant bounce card with light that looks natural thanks to the excellent AWB. I can cheat with it for +1 stops of light and still ETTR. Going to need a flash for off camera work though.
    6. ISO and noise are better than the Canon too. Pushing 1600 without any problem in stills and video.
    7. Olympus menus are confusing. Canon's are laid out much IMO.
    8. Olympus manuals are very sparse. Canon, plus one here too. Thankfully sites like this exist where I can get answers.
    9. Battery life is so-so. A little spoiled with the 60D's battery life. Gotta get an extra one to be safe.
    10. Firmware updates. Olympus, you just need to fix a couple things to make this little camera perfect. Better/more button customization and more video frame rate options.
    11. Speaking of videos. Why does the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format of the OM-d not play in WMP like the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format of Canon? Don't quite understand that, unless that coding is that different.
    12. Lastly the RAW colors. With Canon, I shot in picture style Faithful, popped it into DPP, fixed the white balance with my gray card, added +1 of saturation, adjusted highlights and sharpening and I was done. Colors looked exact or at least how I want them. With the OM-D and Olympus Viewer 2 (I have LR4 on the way to hopefully help) the colors are nice and vibrant, but seem a little off. I can't seem to adjust to get them true to life. This puzzles me as everywhere I've read, the OM-D is supposedly spot on for color rendition. Is it the Pan lens? Or am I just not use to Olympus colors (shooting with Natural setting, but have used Vibrant and Muted)?

Overall, happy with the purchase, but not ecstatic with it. I need to figure out #12.

• Like Like x 2
  2. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been thinking of the OM-D and Panasonic 25mm for a long time now, and I still haven't sold my gear for a new camera. :( I had an Olympus E-520 before, and loved the colors. I wonder if number 12 would be a problem with me. I don't think so though.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I use the 25 on an OM D and process the ORF file in LR4. It all looks fine to me. I have never been a fan of Canon colour though. It always looked like Canon engineers never gave much thought to anything other than primary colours.

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    #12 use Capture one makes your files look like a complete dif camera ;)

it wont look like a olympus jpg IMHO better :) but it will look way better than in LR IMHO skin tones detail everything in C1 is just so much nicer

5. This is something that I have never quite got on top of, and I think it is simply because Canons sensors do something fundamentally different. It's a little hard to describe properly, but the best I can do is to say that colours from a Canon are more "robust". For example, with a Canon file I find that I can move the saturation slider quite a long way before the colours start to over-saturate to the point of losing detail or looking ugly. If you do the same thing with an Olympus (and various other brands of camera for that matter), things get cartoony looking very quickly. I would steer clear of the vibrant colour mode on the E-M5 for this reason.

My answer to still having a small camera that gives me images that look like they came from a Canon DSLR was to buy a G1X. Not surprisingly given it's IQ is as good as any APS-C Canon DSLR. Unless we're talking about extremes of dynamic range, I find that images from my E-M5 aren't better, just different.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    canon does very well in LR
    Nikon Leica and olympus dont do as well in LR and do better in C1 ? not sure why but its interesting for sure and depends of course on the profiles but even with custom profles C1 does so much better with those 3 where Canon can be brought much closer to C1

have seen most of the aftermarket profiles for oly and they dont do much other than shift things around ? not that they are bad they are not better either IMHO just different and are a nice option to have for some that dont want to mess with creating their own :)

if you have a olympus and do a custom profile using a gretag chart or pick up the passport setup so you can have it with you :)
    then you get pretty nice colors really but takes a few steps but is worth it IMHO if you are a LR user

custom wb and custom profile problem of course is with so many changing conditions the key is to do a few in various places and times you shoot and use those as a base and it then becomes a bit easier to manage ! if you shoot in those common places enough

7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Which Capture One are you using? I am really disappointed that C1 does not auto correct M/43 lens aberrations. I switched to LR4 due to this issue alone.
    RA

• Like Like x 1
  8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    V7

yeah agree with ya there wish it did the auto corrections ! and a good point depending on what lens you have etc.. I admit I sometimes forget that side :) the custom profile might be the way to go and stick with LR for better color :)

I mostly shoot the 75 1.8 so not a issue
    the 12-35 panny is actually not to bad
    and the 25 1.4 a small bit

they have correction its just not optimized of course and manual

also why I wish LR would just have a pull down for the lens rather than auto so you could bring in jpgs and correct them from other converters or better yet offer those settings to all

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    We all have different eyes and monitors I guess, but I find Oly's RAW colors require very little adjustment when compared to my Canon RAW. The Auto WB on Oly also kicks butt when compared to my Canons AWB.

I don't find really any difference in sharpness between my Canon lenses and my Oly/Pany lenses. But, until late, fabricating a sharp and fast lens is harder than a making a sharp and slow lens, so kudos to Canon (since we;re speaking of Canon here), but ยต4/3 is finally coming around with comparable pro/L level primes and zooms

Gary

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats on the new kit and thanks for the initial impressions.

You may want to check out the Huelight color profiles for Adobe. There is a thread or two about them here. I think skin tones are better than LR's interpretation and I like them better also as a baseline for post processing (Nik in my case).

Huelight Color Profiles

11. titanaircraft

Nov 7, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Brandon
    That's what I am seeing too.

Of the Canon lenses I had, this is how I rank them 17-55>15-85>24-105>18-55 as far as sharpness. I didn't do primes due to shakey hands, but now with the IBIS I can and am loving the results.

I have that bookmarked to purchase when LR4 arrives, thanks.

12. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Regarding #8: Olympus's online manual is WAY more complete than the printed manual that comes with the camera.

13. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought one of these today. I have to wait for the mail though. I borrowed a friend's Pentax K7 a couple of weeks ago, thinking I might make the move to a full-size (only having ever owned an EPL--1). It was just too big and heavy for me, but it did push me from buying the new EPL-5 to the OMD. I loved have the control dials.

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Interestingly enough, I haven't a single Canon lens on your list.

Gary

15. titanaircraft

Nov 7, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Brandon
    New issue:

13. Background noise in video recording. Hiss, maybe noise from the IBIS during recording. Sounds like an tape recorder. Doesn't change when adjusting for wind noise or microphone volume in the menu. Is this normal for the OM-D?