First wedding

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
Was asked by a client to shoot a very small wedding and just trying to get opinions on what lighting equioment to take. Wedding will be outdoors in the late afternoon early evening. Was planning to take my ad600pro with my 38" deep parabolic but wondering if I should get something a bit larger for the full body shots and small group shots. Like a 48" deep parabolic or possible a 60" octabox. What do you all suggest?

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bigger is better, but bigger catches more wind.
IMHO, umbrellas and softboxes really depend on being able to set up in a wind-FREE location, cuz they are sails.
Outside, you NEED an assistant to mind the light so a breeze won't knock it over, and break your flash.

Have a plan-B to shoot w/o the umbrella/softbox.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
Bigger is better, but bigger catches more wind.
IMHO, umbrellas and softboxes really depend on being able to set up in a wind-FREE location, cuz they are sails.
Outside, you NEED an assistant to mind the light so a breeze won't knock it over, and break your flash.

Have a plan-B to shoot w/o the umbrella/softbox.
My wife will be there being my assistant holding light stands. I own extension heads for all my flashes and sand bags, my lowel stand for my ad600 also can be spiked into the ground like a tent. If the wind is bad that day I have a long throw reflector I'll toss on and use it instead.

If all else fails I have a godox v1 on order I can use on camera if conditions allow nothing else that day.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
QUOTE="RichardC, post: 1298669, member: 31012"]You need a meticulous plan more than you need anything else.

Keep it as simple as possible.[/QUOTE]

Shouldnt be to bad its only the couple and a handful of guest. They only booked us for 2.5 hours. They just want a few portraits before the ceremony, a few shots during, and some after ceremony shots while the sun sets. If there okay with it I'm planning to put the softbox right infront of the alter to fully light them up during the ceremony, and the rest will be portraits around the farms its at. I'm meeting with them at the venue on Saturday to go over more things with them and make sure what they described is what they actually want.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Find a list of standard wedding shots, and show them the list.
It is a LOT easier to work from an existing list than to create a list from scratch.
Whenever I work from scratch, I almost always miss stuff and have to come back and update the list, usually MANY times.

"Oh we forgot about that picture, YES we want it."

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
Find a list of standard wedding shots, and show them the list.
It is a LOT easier to work from an existing list than to create a list from scratch.
Whenever I work from scratch, I almost always miss stuff and have to come back and update the list, usually MANY times.

"Oh we forgot about that picture, YES we want it."
I will look one up just in case but from speaking with them I think they want it as simple as possible. No shots of them getting ready, no reception, etc. Its an elopement not an actual wedding. I could be wrong but ill find out this weekend.

Check with the church about setting up a soft box during ceremony.
It is likely that you may be asked to use no flash during the ceremony.
Make sure to include all family members in the photos.
Have fun.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
"Coulda, shoulda, woulda"

You should "suggest" certain photos to the couple.
Because even if they are not thinking of it, in 10 years they may wish they had those pictures.
In my book, it is always better to have too many, than too few. Once the event is over, they can't go back and get pictures that were never shot.

The good thing is with digital, there isn't the $x per shot cost that we had with film, which put a clamp on how many shots were taken.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
Check with the church about setting up a soft box during ceremony.
It is likely that you may be asked to use no flash during the ceremony.
Make sure to include all family members in the photos.
Have fun.

Not at a church going to be outside at a historical farm. I'm going to ask them about softboxses when we go there this weekend with the client.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
"Coulda, shoulda, woulda"

You should "suggest" certain photos to the couple.
Because even if they are not thinking of it, in 10 years they may wish they had those pictures.
In my book, it is always better to have too many, than too few. Once the event is over, they can't go back and get pictures that were never shot.

The good thing is with digital, there isn't the $x per shot cost that we had with film, which put a clamp on how many shots were taken.
I will definetly do this!

Top Bottom