1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First wedding- Got questions

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by aonavy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    So Ive done some videos in the past and have my first wedding in DEC. I'm doing a few for free to get a few under my belt before charging a few bucks.

I'm meeting with the client next week and wondering what questions I should ask? I have a few in mind and wanted to see if im on the right track

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

My gear-:2thumbs:

GH2
    Nikon D3100 (fixed on tripod with fluid head)
    Steadicam w/monopod
    additional monopod
    Camera slider
    160 LED hotshoe light
    2 zoom H1
    2 Lav Mics
    multiple lens

2. ftwphoto

ftwphoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    Some questions for you:

Have you shot video with the D3100 before? Have you cut it with GH2 footage before?

What lenses do you plan to shoot with?

Are you planning on delivering a short wedding video with included stills (fusion style)? Or a long full day multi-hour coverage?

3. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I have shot video with both and hsvr cut video from d3100

Lens really depends on the day and venue.

I think Im planning on delivering a shot video (facebook friendly) and something long (20-30min)

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

From your gear list I am assuming you are going to find a good angle for the Nikon and just let it roll. Then you will move around and get other angles with the GH. Is that your plan? If so I have done that and it works. I hope in you "multiple lenses" you have some long zooms. You want to frame a tightly as possible BUT often you are forced to the edge of the room.

A couple of hints to make things easier. First is start both and use some sort of sync method then keep both rolling the whole time. This will allow you to sync just once instead of many times if you pause the GH. Use white balance and get that right before you film. Since you are using two different cameras they might not be exactly the same. I wouldn't try using the LED light except for interviews with family and friends. For the best sound of the ceremony itself see if you can record direct off the church sound system. Or if they can and then get you a copy on CD. Try to avoid using zoom shots, they look very amateurish. If you must zoom do it slowly and smoothly.

Good luck

5. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Even if you are doing this shoot gratis, I suggest you develop a contract and get in the habit of having clients sign it (for gratis jobs, insert COMPLIMENTARY in the price field). If you google "wedding photography contract" (without the parentheses), you will find several excellent examples. I personally suggest that you include a clause that restricts (but does not ban) other photographers and/or interference with your duties. You can, if you wish, say that other non-professional photographers are welcome and may shoot set up scenes AFTER YOU ARE FINISHED; this will ensure that Uncle Harry can get his share of snapshots and will probable evoke a high level of cooperation. You might go so far as to ask Uncle Harry or Cousun Henrietta for a piece of useless advice("what do you think, Harry, a 5.6 or an 8?") or enlist his/her assistance ("I say, would you mind holding this reflector for me?"). Doing weddings for free is good practice, but establish yourself as a businessperson now! Good luck and have fun.

6. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Awesome advice from both of you.

Speedandstyle: My plan was to setup the Nikon and have it keep rolling while i run around with the GH2. Only issue I see is that the nikon (hacked) can only do 17min of recording. So Ive been looking at an additional Camera (camcorder style) I found the 2 below as options: which is better you think?

Canon VIXIA HF R21
    Canon Direct Store- VIXIA HF R21 Refurbished

HD Cannon Vixia F10
    HD Cannon Vixia F10 video camera

For the Nikon i have a verity of lens ranging from 17mm-300mm so i think I should be fine. I also have adapter to interchange lens between GH2 and Nikon. I don't plan on doing zooming. Just cant make it look good.

Mogul:

Ive been pondering this idea even thought it "free". I think it would be a good way for me to cover my ass. I like your ideas and thoughts

I think this weekend ill print out this thread and make the changes and recommendation as needed.

Thanks you :)

7. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    i think im going to opt for the R20. i don't need the space and its only $125 shipped!!!!!

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have used many of Canon's video cams but mainly higher end ones but Canon has a very good reputation. The Canon models I have used have been very good.
    The R21 has a slightly smaller sensor but longer tele reach 20x zoom verses 12x zoom of the HF10. The R21 is a newer camera which might mean better performance even with a smaller chip. The HF10 was the first generation of flash camcorders from Canon{or at least that is what the cnet review said}. If you buy a refurbed camera it has a little bit of a warranty, better than none. So if I were you and these two were my choices I would go with the R21.

I personally prefer Panasonic small camcorders{and even the pro ones}. I have had or used several without issue and loved them. On the other had I have hated almost every JVC{consumer and pro} and had mixed results from Sony{at both levels}.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Thank you for your feed back!!

I went with the R21 Like you said