First video with new PEN!

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by weaselnoze, Oct 6, 2011.

1. weaselnoze

weaselnoze Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    So it looks like i'm gonna have some fun shooting video with my new e-PL1, but i have one problem. THE AF NOISE IS INSANE. it ruins the video. I'm not trying to shoot pro quality stuff here but for shooting little videos, i'm surprised that the AF makes so much noise in the video!

<iframe src=";byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">first video with E-PL1</a> from <a href="">Chris Anselmo</a> on <a href="">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yeah, that is a bit noisy. If you want a zoom, you may want to keep your eyes open here or ebay for someone selling off their kit zoom from a E-PM1, E-PL3, or E-P3. These would be the latest CSC lenses, Oly's designation for video, which would mean less noise during focus. Quite a few people get rid of their kit lenses, if they are going to mostly use primes, so they go for as little as $160 range.

Oh yeah, and just an observation, but it seems like Kate is pretty flirty with ya. =)
  3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    My 17mm sounds like that (a freight train passing). However, the new zoom on my E-P3 is silent so krugorg makes a very good point.

The best work around without spending more money is to set manual focus before recording - this is good because it means you won't have the focus hunting that even the better lenses can do. But it's useless for moving subjects unless you are using a small (high f number) aperture.

You can also record the sound separately and combine with the video later.
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I fixed the noisy focus and slow focus problem on my E-PL1 by purchasing a 14-42mm IIR kit lens.

This len's comes standard on the E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3. There are usually some used ones for sale on ebay. The IIR focus is silent and fast and the images are also razor sharp.

The II lens that came standard on the E-P2 and E-PL2 is also a silent and faster focusing lens but may not be quite as fast as the IIR
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Or you can get a more directional mic that attached to the hotshoe. That should cut down the focusing noise considerably.
  6. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    The AF noise is the whole reason why i use MF or Legacy Lenses. It takes a bit of getting used to, and can be quite fiddly to start with, but i just find sticking to Primes keeps things simpler overall, plus you can really play with the DOF in the video.