1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First video and post on this site

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by aonavy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I had fun doing this video. I wanted to get a few under my belt before doing weddings. It was tough to shoot because of the small space. Please let me know how I did and what needs to be changed. Im really looking forward to your comments. Thanks

Shot with:
    GH2 with slow motion (720)
    Heiios 44M
    25mm 1.4 CCTC
    monopod

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2kY2l6BSPnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    no good?

3. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    which shots were with the cctv camera? the ones with the slight vignetting? i got one of those, and i haven't really shot with it much, but i like how it looks. there are a couple spots that were a little shaky, some of which you could probably fix in post.

how are you doing your slow motion? it looked a little jerky..unless you were using 24fps footage that you slowed down.

weren't you worried about the camera getting splashed?? especially with the chlorinated water..i'd be a little paranoid if it were me..haha

but looks good for the first go round. what are you editing with?

and out of curiosity...who did the logo for the swim team/pool? it looks like they pretty much jacked a local surf shop/board company's logo..

Picture2-12.

• Like Like x 1
  4. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    that logo has been with the team for year! I have no idea where it came from.

I used FCPX for Post

You can tell which sections are CCTV because of the vig. like you said. I cropped it some in post

Thanks for review!

I just got a new CCTV that i want to test shortly. 4.5mm-12mm 1.2

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Need to cut out the shaky camera shots...especially the opening shot...no excuse not to reshoot that. Also you cold tighten up a lot of the editing..too many bits of dead time where a camera movement stopped...then the edit.

Not sure what the cut away to the score board was aiming to achieve...if had been for different heats it might have made more sense....also there was an obvious attempt to steady a shot using fcpx.

Video is not easy..a lot to think about...but you will only get better if you keep trying

K

• Like Like x 1
  6. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    My battery died at the beginning shot. I couldn't reshoot

what you mean by "oo many bits of dead time where a camera movement stopped"

Thanks for your time

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    looking again....and I have watched this at least a dozen times trying to come up with constructive criticisms... there are only a couple of shots where the edit and the movement dont gel.... the tracking shots at around 2:14 for example... the camera stops moving suddenly...which is visually jarring.

however a lot of the other edits could do with tightening up....the shot of the girls walking in at 0:38 has a second or so of dead space at the end for example. General rule is that a cut is used between shots in the same scene, fades are used to convey change in time and or location, cuts to black generally dont happen in the middle of a video. At least you avoided all the cheesy page curl type transitions :)

I would also reconsider the order of your shots at little more so that they tell a more cohesive story. the story can be as simple as - people arrive, people compete, people celebrate...You dont have to use the shots in the order you shot them...

oh and lastly... whatever the reason...flat battery, out of focus, badly exposed... if the shot is bad... dont use it....and doubly so if its the first shot in the video.

K

• Like Like x 1
  8. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    thanks you for the good review!

Ill remember this for my next video!