First vacation with OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Y2K, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    As many others on this forum, I decided to find a more compact replacement for my DSLR (Canon 60D) and lens collection for traveling and everyday use. After much reading I decided to try micro 4/3 format and purchased E-PL3. I liked the compactness and image quality but it was just a bit too small for my hands, so I had to let it go. Got an OM-D as a replacement and loving it. Perfect size, retro look, tons of options, dials, EVF, and great stabilization. Splash and dust resistance is a big plus too! Just got back from a week long vacation in Cayman Islands. Had my new Oly OM-D EM-5 with kit 12-50mm and 20mm prime. Very impressed with it, and I am not even using any of the best lenses available. Brought a ton of shots back and still going through them, but here are some of the first favorites. Hope you like them.

PC090428.

PC090403.

PC120428.

PC130001.

PC090282.

PC120354.

PC110035.

PC110263.

• Like Like x 10
  2. bigkidneys

bigkidneys Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2010
    Pensacola, florida
    Very nice! And you got to take a great vacation to boot :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Thanks! Yes, loved Great Cayman Island, would love to come back there.

4. OCULUS

OCULUS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Ray Hull
    Well Seen...

Some great shots; congrats.

I got mine on April 17th and flew off to NW Montana to a Horizon Photo workshop. I didn't even have the battery grip yet, but I did have the 75-300 which was a God-send on our very first day at the National Bison Preserve (distance=safety and set-up time) and then Grisly hunting. You can see the picks of the litter here.

Montana Workshop

• Like Like x 1
  5. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Thanks.

Ray - nice shots from the workshop. 75-300 seems like a very nice long lens (600 at 2x crop) to have. However, I will need to start unloading my Canon lenses before spending more on m4/3 glass. Took me a while to get a nice Canon setup so I am having trouble letting it go :)

6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Once again I am thoroughly impressed with what this little camera can do! Nice shots there, Yefim. LOVE the color in the second one!

7. sabeking

sabeking Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    Any post processing?

The pictures look great! Did you use the kit lens (you mentioned above) to take these pictures? Also, are these straight out of the camera?

Stacey

8. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    FrayAdjacent, Stacey - thank you!

Stacey, all of these were taken with the kit 12-50mm lens. It is certainly not the fastest lens in terms of aperture, but it is sharp, splash proof, and has a perfect walk around range from wide to zoom. I found myself using this lens 95% of the time and I really like it. I switched to 20mm 1.7 only for indoor shots when not enough light was an issue and I didn't want to go too high in ISO.

In terms of post processing - I did make a few very minor tweaks in Lightroom that I usually do: mainly cropped and bumped the clarity and sharpness a bit to bring out more details; as well as reduce noise a little for long exposures. The black and white conversion was also done in Lightroom. However, I am VERY impressed with out-of-camera image quality of OM-D and none of these were really necessary; so it was more of a taste preference. I don't usually use in-camera presets and shoot either in manual or A or S priority modes; but since I wanted to get to know OM-D as much as possible I used presets for some shots. The second and third (sunset) photos were taken using the "Sunset" preset and I was really impressed with the output! It produced nice, rich red and orange warm tones and I did not adjust any colors in Lightroom. The first picture was taken in manual mode with a 50 sec. long exposure. The rest of the shots were taken in shutter priority mode and the last one was in aperture priority since I wanted to have the lizard head in focus but the rest a bit blurred. You can get all the additional info from the EXIF in the photos.

-Yefim.