First unflattering review of GX7 EVF/IBIS changing anyone's mind?

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Honestly I don't know how everybody choose their camera and really don't care about that because everybody is free to choose whichever way they like best. What I care is how I choose my camera and handling is important but doesn't say anything about IQ which for ME is the most important thing I consider when choosing a camera; so if IQ seems to satisfy my needs then I try handling and ergonomics BUT if I think IQ is not up to what I need then I wont even try to handle it.:biggrin:
With the GX7 at this time handling is impossible because it's not available in shops so we can only try to understand how the IQ is from those who are lucky enough to be able to test it. It's possible that someone chooses a camera only from reviews and spec sheets. :eek:

Personally I put handling and features before IQ, simply because cameras have for a long time exceeded my requirements for IQ. I take it for granted that any new camera will be fine in that respect and if there is a small improvement over an already excellent IQ, then that's a bonus. :smile:

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Personally I put handling and features before IQ, simply because cameras have for a long time exceeded my requirements for IQ. I take it for granted that any new camera will be fine in that respect and if there is a small improvement over an already excellent IQ, then that's a bonus. :smile:

For me it's the opposite because I'm a jpg shooter so I have to see how the camera renders jpgs. If I find them good sooc, then I can tweek them in camera to my taste, if they aren't then I look elseware; thats why IQ (jpg IQ) for me is important. I have used almost all brand and find that Oly comes up to my taste better than others and also Pana (I had a G3 and regretted selling it) is good enough but I'm not sure this applies to all models. Obviously this applies to my subjective needs.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
For me it's the opposite because I'm a jpg shooter so I have to see how the camera renders jpgs. If I find them good sooc, then I can tweek them in camera to my taste, if they aren't then I look elseware; thats why IQ (jpg IQ) for me is important. I have used almost all brand and find that Oly comes up to my taste better than others and also Pana (I had a G3 and regretted selling it) is good enough but I'm not sure this applies to all models. Obviously this applies to my subjective needs.

Well, if shooting JPEG it rather simplifies the choice - "Which Olympus model am I going to buy?" :biggrin:

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Well, if shooting JPEG it rather simplifies the choice - "Which Olympus model am I going to buy?" :biggrin:

I don't that's obvious anymore. Certainly Panasonic's JPEGs have been noticeably improved from the G5 onward. I shoot mainly JPEGs, and I find the G5 produces quite useable ones.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I don't that's obvious anymore. Certainly Panasonic's JPEGs have been noticeably improved from the G5 onward. I shoot mainly JPEGs, and I find the G5 produces quite useable ones.

Hehe, I should have made it more obvious that my comment was tongue in cheek. :biggrin: You're right, Doug, recent Panasonic JPEGS have improved a lot, especially compared to my original G1. Fuji seem good these days, too. :smile:

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Hehe, I should have made it more obvious that my comment was tongue in cheek. :biggrin: You're right, Doug, recent Panasonic JPEGS have improved a lot, especially compared to my original G1. Fuji seem good these days, too. :smile:

Even though it was tongue in cheek, it USED to be pretty much true.

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Built In Image Stabilization: Take a deep breath, do one last compose check, let it out slowly while squeezing the trigger.

Camera Review Strategies for Predatory Females: Do the evaluation the same way you would picking up a man in a bar for the night. Determine that your fatuous and temporal needs will be met in a thirty-second (or much less) facial scan, then emasculate your prey in your own mind as early preparation for the cold dump when mating ritual is complete.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John

I think when Olympus were still using the Kodak sensor it was virtually indisputable, even though you couldn't shoot higher than 400 ISO. Since then a lot of water has passed under the bridge and other manufacturers have closed the gap on Oly JPEGS, whilst Oly is within touching distance of APS-C high ISO performance. Which really brings me back to the other point I've been making in this thread - all the most recent cameras are so good that to me IQ differences are now far less important than handling and features. :smile:

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Built In Image Stabilization: Take a deep breath, do one last compose check, let it out slowly while squeezing the trigger.

Camera Review Strategies for Predatory Females: Do the evaluation the same way you would picking up a man in a bar for the night. Determine that your fatuous and temporal needs will be met in a thirty-second (or much less) facial scan, then emasculate your prey in your own mind as early preparation for the cold dump when mating ritual is complete.

I've never heard that analogy to using a camera before! :biggrin:

MadMan

Mu-43 Regular
After reading nothing but positive reports, it appears the first unflattering report of the GX7 has appeared.
Interesting, I did not see this as "unflattering" at all. She actually states herself at the end that "my impression of the Panasonic Lumix GX7 is very high."

I guess it it could be seen as "unflattering" if your expectation is that anything less than "this is the best camera for every need!" is seen to be a criticism. She's not impressed by the Power OIS in direct comparison to 5-axis IS, but as she says, that should not be a surprise to anyone who is knowledgeable, even before they read her blog post.

Similiarly, for the EVF she writes tht the VF-4 "is bigger, brighter, and covers a larger area. The viewfinder on the GX7 is quite small in comparison. I even felt the need to squint to see the image properly." OK, so the built in GX& evf is smaller. Is that really a criticism, and not simply a statement of fact, that one must weigh in evaluating one's needs? Even she goes on to say "This said, it is very detailed and the colour rendering seems more accurate than the VF-4."

And that's it, right? What else was there that was "unflattering" in your eyes?

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree that Panasonic is catching up with jpegs. well its good to have choise.
I must say that one of the best with which I've shoot was the E-pl1 and the
E-p2 - very pleasing jpg rendition, but poor high iso.:frown:

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
:43:
I take your point, it's easy for me in the fairly compact UK to overlook that locating some cameras in the US can involve travelling vast distances. There again, it's not so easy in the UK to return a mail ordered camera if there is no fault and the only reason is that you don't like it.

Also, as far as Olympus cameras are concerned there are often new camera launch events where you can get a decent amount of hands on time and ongoing Olympus Experience days where you can borrow cameras and lenses. I recently went to a circus performance that Olympus had exclusively hired and there were plenty of E-M5s for people to try. I already had my own, but I did borrow a 75mm f1.8. And the whole event was free! :biggrin:

I live in a medium sized city in the US, and I have yet to see any top level :43: cameras in a store. All we have now is Best Buy. Honestly, the only way a GX7(or E-P5 or OMD) would get into my hands for me to actuallly see if I like the ergonomics is to order online, and then possibly send it back if I don't like it. I'd hate to do that to an online company, but that is Panasonics or Olympus' fault for not getting them into B&M stores.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
:43:

I live in a medium sized city in the US, and I have yet to see any top level :43: cameras in a store. All we have now is Best Buy. Honestly, the only way a GX7(or E-P5 or OMD) would get into my hands for me to actuallly see if I like the ergonomics is to order online, and then possibly send it back if I don't like it. I'd hate to do that to an online company, but that is Panasonics or Olympus' fault for not getting them into B&M stores.

Yeah, I take your point, it's easy to overlook how fortunate we are in this respect in the UK. I'm going to a mystery Olympus event in London on 12th September; they won't say what it is yet, but I can guess. :smile:

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, not everyone likes over-saturated, highly contrasty jpegs, which is what Oly has always produced. Some of us prefer more natural colors.

That's not to say that the older Panasonic jpegs produced natural color, just that the Pens and OM-D never have (at their default settings).

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Interesting, I did not see this as "unflattering" at all. She actually states herself at the end that "my impression of the Panasonic Lumix GX7 is very high."

I don't think most of us reacted to it being "unflattering," but rather to it being inaccurate, and to the blogger reaching (and publishing) inaccurate conclusions after only 10 minutes with the camera.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Well, not everyone likes over-saturated, highly contrasty jpegs, which is what Oly has always produced. Some of us prefer more natural colors.

That's not to say that the older Panasonic jpegs produced natural color, just that the Pens and OM-D never have (at their default settings).

That's cool, it's a good job we don't all share the same preferences or see with the same eyes; if we did photography would soon become boring and predictable! :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom