First unflattering review of GX7 EVF/IBIS changing anyone's mind?

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I didn't read most of this thread, but I did skim the first impressions piece that was linked and have a few comments:

1) She didn't walk away from the camera with a negative impression. The very last thing she wrote was "I do love this little camera! Can I take it home?"

2) The E-M5 IBIS is noticeably better than any body IS that I have ever used, and that includes most if not all of them. It should come as no surprise if it is also noticeably better than the GX7 body IS. Also, those shutter speeds she used would stress even the E-M5 IBIS.

3) The VF4 is not only noticeably better than most if not all other EVFs on the market, it is also quite large. Again, it should come as no surprise (IMO) if the EVF built into the GX7 (which is far smaller than an E-P5 and VF4) gives a smaller or worse view than the VF4 does.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Not a preorder for me, but defintely a release day purchase depending on how the focus peaking feels in the hand with the instore demo unit.
I'm hoping that it's at least on par with Sony's. But with improvements when using the EVF. I found the shimmering on the NEX's EVF lacking

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not interested in EVF comparisons to large, auxiliary EVFs, but I will be interested to see how it stacks up against other built in EVFs like from the OMD, NEX, etc.

napilopez

Contributing Editor
Real Name
Napier Lopez
I'm not interested in EVF comparisons to large, auxiliary EVFs, but I will be interested to see how it stacks up against other built in EVFs like from the OMD, NEX, etc.
Well, to be fair, as far as I know there has been no external EVF that wasn't featured in a body at some point. The exception is the VF3, which is actually worse quality than any other integrated EVF. It's almost a guarantee the upcoming high end OM-D is going to have an equivalent to the VF-4. In other words, what you see in the VF4 is what you'll be seeing in other cameras pretty soon.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Most reviewers believe the EVF on the NEX-7 to be superior to that on the OM-D, because of the more saturated colors and larger size, but I disagree. The OLED contrast on the former is really high, often making you lose out on shadow details during composition, and colors often seem inaccurate. The OM-D also slows down less in low light. Finally, high refresh mode is too important to a lot of my work.
This is true, the EVF of the NEX-7 was overhyped but in reality it's not very good.

Fujifilm X-Pro 1, Sony NEX-7, Panasonic DMC-GH2, Olympus VF-2: EVF comparison

I must say that I'm very wary about the EVF in the GX7 because I dislike field-sequential displays and color-tearing effects they usually produce.

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
You can still use the viewfinder with on-camera flash. You just have to use it in the horizontal position, like every other camera with a viewfinder sold today.

I'm not aware of any small format (35mm or smaller) camera that lets you use on-camera flash with its built-in vertical viewfinder, are you? In fact, I'm not aware of any other small format camera that even has a built-in vertical viewfinder. Even DSLRs with add-on right-angle finders wouldn't work, because the flash would be in the way of your head. To criticize the camera for not offering a feature that no one else offers either seems a little harsh. With the Pens, you can't use on-camera flash combined with a viewfinder at all.
Actually on the pen 5 (I haven't tried it to see whether there is a software limitation) the viewfinder can come up and the flash can pop up as well. However that wasn't really the point I was making. I'm not generally a fan of built in flash for my style it is too small, not powerful enough, too close to the lens etc.

Saying that though, I've not yet used the evf in upright position. I much prefer to just flip out the screen horizontally and shoot wlf style like I'm used to from my medium format cameras. I find that incredibly comfortable and works well. And if I'm not mistaken it is great that the gx7 can do that as well since on my g6 you'd have to flip it out and then it is in the wrong location.

I further more think you misread something I was critiquing the pen in comparison to the Lumix as you can't have an hot shoe flash and the evf.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm waiting for more real-life field tests from users. I'm undecided between this and E-P5, like many of us now I think.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is it not possible to use the built-in flash and an EVF like the VF-2 on bodies like the E-PL2 and E-PL5?

--Ken
I said "shoe mount flash", not built-in. Pens use the flash shoe to mount the accessory viewfinder, so you can't use both at the same time. The GX-7 lets you use the built-in flash and EVF (in vertical or horizontal mode). The question was about external flash units.\\
Actually on the pen 5 (I haven't tried it to see whether there is a software limitation) the viewfinder can come up and the flash can pop up as well. However that wasn't really the point I was making.
See above comment.

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
I said "shoe mount flash", not built-in. Pens use the flash shoe to mount the accessory viewfinder, so you can't use both at the same time. The GX-7 lets you use the built-in flash and EVF (in vertical or horizontal mode). The question was about external flash units.\\

See above comment.
That clarified it but as you can see on my quote of your post you didn't say that at all ;)

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
That clarified it but as you can see on my quote of your post you didn't say that at all ;)
He said "on-camera flash". Pretty sure that means in the hot shoe, as distinguished from in-camera or built-in flash.

And just a question - could you tell me which other camera supports a tilting viewfinder while using a flash in the hotshoe?

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
He said "on-camera flash". Pretty sure that means in the hot shoe, as distinguished from in-camera or built-in flash.

And just a question - could you tell me which other camera supports a tilting viewfinder while using a flash in the hotshoe?
Let's leave it to lost in translation to UK English then :)

Hotshoe, no I'm not aware of any. Still trying to imagine how it would be usable in tilted position and having a speedlight in the hotshoe. But hey great if it does. Non hotshoe i.e. no electronic contacts there are quite a few that can do that.

Out of interest in what situation would you apply that with the viewfinder opposed to just having the rear screen in horizontal position? I find it hard to imagine a good use for that.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Let's leave it to lost in translation to UK English then :)

Hotshoe, no I'm not aware of any. Still trying to imagine how it would be usable in tilted position and having a speedlight in the hotshoe. But hey great if it does. Non hotshoe i.e. no electronic contacts there are quite a few that can do that.

Out of interest in what situation would you apply that with the viewfinder opposed to just having the rear screen in horizontal position? I find it hard to imagine a good use for that.
For me personally, I don't generally see myself using a speed light in the shoe in any case, so it's a moot point. I would either be using the built-in flash alone, or the built-in flash to trigger remote slave flashes off camera. If a flash isn't using the hotshoe, to me I'd rather have it on a remote bracket or off-camera light stand in any case.

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
For me personally, I don't generally see myself using a speed light in the shoe in any case, so it's a moot point. I would either be using the built-in flash alone, or the built-in flash to trigger remote slave flashes off camera. If a flash isn't using the hotshoe, to me I'd rather have it on a remote bracket or off-camera light stand in any case.
Yup, same here. Other than the remote commander function I do not use the inbuilt flash. Much prefer external lights or a helper who just holds it for me :)

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I'm waiting for more real-life field tests from users. I'm undecided between this and E-P5, like many of us now I think.
Does everybody now make their camera purchasing decisions based mainly upon reviews and spec sheets? Surely one of the most important factors is how the camera feels in your hands, how easily you can reach all the controls, whether you have issues knocking certain buttons or dials and so on. I cannot envisage pre-ordering a camera, no matter how hyped up it might be.

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
Does everybody now make their camera purchasing decisions based mainly upon reviews and spec sheets? Surely one of the most important factors is how the camera feels in your hands, how easily you can reach all the controls, whether you have issues knocking certain buttons or dials and so on. I cannot envisage pre-ordering a camera, no matter how hyped up it might be.
Totally agree. I didn't put a pre order in for the ep5 until after I was able to handle it. Luckily here in the uk both Olympus and Panasonic and to be fair also nikon and canon marketing teams are quite active and I have a large premium dealer nearby for lots of events.

Handling is the number one for me.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
I would define it as a mechanism to allow me to hand-hold longer lenses at the sorts of shutter-speeds that I normally would only be able to hand-hold short lenses, by compensating for camera movements.
Right . . . and without it you'd need a tripod to use those shutter speeds with the longer lenses. So essentially your definition of IS is the same as mine (a replacement for a tripod at relatively long shutter speeds) except that for some illogical reason you would not consider its use with shorter focal lengths, where all the evidence suggests IS is just as effective.

htc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Harry
Does everybody now make their camera purchasing decisions based mainly upon reviews and spec sheets?
Without somebody first digging all out I wouldn't know 10 % about all bells and whistles these gadgets include. So review first then feelings and buttons :cool:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom