1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First try

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by dulaney22, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Hey guys, this is my first real dedicated shot with my new E-P1. I live in a part of Mississippi that's moving from rural to urban rather quickly and want to take picks of some of the things that are rapidly dying. Anyway, this is just an old hand-painted sign on a creosote post, but I think it's interesting.

Shot at 1/2500, wide open Panny 20mm. ISO at 200. Please give me criticism for better, more interesting pictures. I like the black and white, although the color was really nice too.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Dulaney, first of all congratulations on your first posted photo here and your first "real dedicated" shot with that E-P1 of yours! The crisp and clear detail is excellent on the creosote post, sign and barbed wire.

My first reaction is that you could probably add a little more power to the strength of the tones. It might be helpful to know which post processing software or organizing software you're using so that people could be helpful in suggesting the specific way to increase the depth of tones. I don't think you need to do much here, but I think you can make the black and white pop a bit more.

It also might be interesting to see it in color to compare, if you feel like posting the color version too.

You did very nicely framing the posted sign off center and, as I said, the focus and shallow depth of field works really well, too. Good start!

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    My initial thoughts are that I'd like to see more.
    Many times we get so into the details if a scene that we forget that the scene is what we are actually responding to.
    So, you've captured a detail but detail of what.
    There is no sense of place...
    Maybe in the overall story you are going to do, this would work in the series but on it's own, it's not strong enough to bring the viewer in....

4. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    BBW, I'm using just the generic iPhoto. All I did was hit the filter for B&W. I really don't know how to use the more advanced functions to get deeper tones just yet.

Here's the color pic:
    [​IMG]

5. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    You are exactly right. When I got home and loaded up the pic the first thing I thought was I was too dang close to it and lost even a glance of the grown up path leading into the field, which is part of the charm to me. I was caught up on focusing in on the sign (which I did magnifying that little green box:biggrin:) that I forgot the whole image and what I actually liked about the scene. I'm gonna try it again and this time not worry so much about my focal point and the depth of field stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    There ya go... Yer on yer way......
    Keep your eye, your mind and your heart connected and then the camera will work with you.....
    Looking forward to seeing your body of work.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Lee, thanks for this and for your update on the iPhoto and what you felt when you were out.

iPhoto is so easy - try the Edit and use adjustments..definition, etc. Remember you're never changing your original photo. We can get into this more in the software forum. You'll get the hang of it fast, I'm sure.

8. Regarding B&W photography, I was taught (40 some years ago) that a good B&W image should have black blacks and white whites and everything in between. Of course there are always exceptions, but it is a good starting point to process by.

9. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm gonna read a bunch more on the process, because I don't really know where to start. I do understand what you are saying though. Thank you.

10. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I went back out a while ago and couldn't get the image how I liked it backed off. At a further distance, I couldn't get the detail in the old, weather railing and the sign/post . . . and the bokeh just wasn't blurred like this one. I've got a lot to learn and will have to try different lenses.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The good news is that in this digital age, it doesn't cost anything to practice! In the bad old film days, learning was an expensive proposition, between film, chemicals, paper, an enlarger, etc, etc, etc, and a nice dark room to put it all to use. Now you mostly just need a decent camera and software that you're comfortable with and you can shoot to your heart's content. And over time, you'll see more and more that you like and you'll start to connect what you like about it and how you got there, etc, and the bar will be raised. The bottom line is to shoot a lot and really engage with the process - don't treat it like a shotgun and shoot at everything hoping you may hit something - think about what you're doing and experiment some. But do it a LOT. Once you make the basic purchases up front (which you've done well enough to get started), the rest of it doesn't cost a thing beyond the electricity to keep the batteries charged and the computer running.

Have fun,

-Ray

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.