First try at Lightroom 4...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by MrKal_El, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I finally made the jump into RAW processing with Lightroom. I practiced a couple of weeks w/ Viewer, but decided to make the move...

This is my first set of pics edited...Please let me know what you guys think...For some reason, looking back at them I feel some are under-exposed...

Any help would be great!!

The complete set:

Yelp Brooklyn's Summerfest 2012 - a set on Flickr

Some examples:

7440375064_3cd03d78da_b.
    EM501210-2 by MrKal_El, on Flickr

7440375426_92b0386a73_b.
    EM501212-2 by MrKal_El, on Flickr

7440365356_8de34590f3_b.
    EM501155-2 by MrKal_El, on Flickr

7440363136_0afb259618_b.
    EM501140-2 by MrKal_El, on Flickr

2. michaeln

michaeln Guest

They are pretty nicely done, but please check out the "Straighten Tool" under the Crop Panel and use it to straighten your horizons.

3. TDP

TDP Guest

The food and eating ladies are great.

4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Will do!

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The first shot it ok as far as PP goes, but the OOF people in the foreground don't add anything in my book. If the people are important to the shot, use enough DOF to get them at least reasonably sharp. If not, move to the rail or wait for them to move.

6. michaeln

michaeln Guest

After having used PS since CS3, I had resisted LR. Just couldn't understand what all the raves were about. However, a couple weeks back I broke down and bought 4.1, and I am more impressed with it the more I work with it. It helped that I watched a couple training videos on lynda.com and kelbytraining.com.

Although I do have PS CS5.1, I don't see much need to use it now. Perhaps for content-aware fill or stuff where I want to use layers, but honestly, I seldom use those and only used about 10% of PS's capabilities. I think I can do 99% of what I want to do just using LightRoom 4.1, and I do still have PS and DxO Optics 7.5.1 for when I need stuff I can't do in LR.

7. jcbrig00

jcbrig00 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    I am having a horrible time getting my images to look great in LR4. I know this is a common gripe but when I import my images from my E-PM1, LR seems to suck the life out of them. I'm trying to figure out the camera profile thing to see if that helps because a few presets I've used make them even flatter. Probably need to spend a few more hours with some training tutorials :frown:

8. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I suggest you try some film presets from x-equals. They have kodak portra, fuji velvia, etc. Not trying to promote anything, I'm just a happy customer :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't know what metering approach you took but they are back lit, apart from the food shot. If you're using either the averaging or centre weighted meter mode, that bright back lighting is going to skew the meter reading and the subjects in front of the light will be underexposed (you would have got the right exposure if you'd walked around behind them and shot them with the sun at your back, but then you'd also never have got these photos unless you can walk on water).

I think the back lighting is where the problem lies. In Lightroom you can just move the exposure slider to the right until the foreground subject looks about right, pull the highlights slider to the left to recover the highlights you've pushed too high with the exposure adjustment, and perhaps adjust the black point higher if your shadows aren't dark enough.

To get the exposure better for the foreground subject in shots like these, you can use spot meter mode and meter one of the people. If you're metering caucasian skin tones add 1 EV positive exposure compensation to get the skin tone right. The background will appear brighter than it does in these shots.

10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Have you tried adding a little clarity & vibrance (basic panel of develop module)? It's what the "Punch" preset does, but start out with a lesser degree - like 20 for clarity & 15 for vibrance.

These look good, first time I heard of them. I personally use VSCOfilm, but there is a price difference.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've been using LR since v1. The changes over the years are really significant; v4 is a really excellent product. Like dre_tech, I've decided that essentially all photos from my Nikon DSLRs and m4/3 cameras get 20-25 clarity and 15-20 vibrance. The exception is files from my M8, which usually need nothing (IMHO).

12. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    +1 on clarity and vibrance...

Then, I occasionally add +5 saturation when taking pictures of foliage to make it standout a little.

13. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
  14. amendegw

amendegw Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2012
    Wilmington, DE USA
    Lightroom is worth its weight in gold. It can truly turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

I fiddle, fiddle, fiddle with the settings until it looks right to my eyes, but the things I concentrate on are:

0) Click on the "Auto" correct to get a starting point (usually I have to reduce the exposure).
    1) Reducing the highlights so the whites show detail.
    2) Increasing the shadows so the blacks are not crushed.
    3) Modestly increasing the sharpness while using the mask slider to reduce the noise.

...Jerry

• Like Like x 1
  15. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I just upgraded from LR3 to LR4 - I swear the highlight recovery involves witchcraft and time-travel now...genuinely amazed at how much sky it can pull back from raw files :0

• Like Like x 2