1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First try at IR

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by adam, Jul 8, 2010.

1. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    So now that I've got an awesome tripod, I figured it was time to try IR photography. I've been curious about it for awhile, so on a whim the other day I bought a Hoya R72 filter. Here's my first keeper:

4773223314_fe8563822e_b.

Panasonic G1, 14-45@18mm, ISO 400, f/4.5, 40 seconds.

I've been on a big fountain kick lately, and they're good targets for IR due to the long exposure times. This picture is more interesting than any visible-light picture I've taken of this fountain. (New Yorkers - it's the fountain at Columbus Circle). C&C much appreciated.

2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - I'm very curious about it - did you have to physically modify your G1 to get that, or simply put an IR filter on ? (and a tripod below given the exposure time...) - anyway, nice shot - especially with the mis between static and moving people

3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Forty Seconds! Hard to believe some people stayed still that long.

This is with a visible blocking filter to get and exposure that long. The IR leakage on the EP2 is enough to see an IR LED on a Wii light bar that sits with the console. It would see an IR LED on a remote control. Figure the IR Blocking filter is cutting about 98% or so of the IR, just off-the-cuff.

4. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Good Results!

Very nice for your first try! Next thing you know is that you will become addicted and off goes the camera for modification to full spectrum which allows normal color, UV and IR! I find that I take about 100 IR images to every color one!

Keep playing with it!

5. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    No modifications...just the filter. I'm actually pretty accustomed to doing long exposures with people in the way...I frequently use a 10-stop ND filter for fountain shots during the day. What usually happens is that the people are either sitting there or walking...if they are walking, they don't appear at all. A bunch of people walked across my field of view when the shutter was open.

The G1 sensor has a pretty strong IR filter...the visible-light metered exposure for this scene was 1/500 sec wide-open at ISO 100...between 16 and 18 stops faster than the IR exposure. I'm already addicted...I'll probably get a dedicated IR body at some point. (Actually, I'll probably send my G1 in for modification when I get my G3 next year).

More to come...

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I'll have to try out the EP2 with a blocking filter.

The only test I;ve done is to look at the IR LED's.

7. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    My G1 can see the signals from a remote control also.