1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First Try at B&W

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Kade.Sirin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Its just me, and my first try at B&W photography..

P1080758.JPG
    GF1 w/ Canon FD 50mm f1.4

My hair's everywhere!

2. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    I find it a bit flat and dark for my liking. Yes you hair looks as uncontrollable as mine! :)

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi,

I hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of having a little play with your original photograph.
    I'm assuming that the original was under exposed (was your t-shirt white?), since when I opened it with a levels dialogue there was virtually nothing above about mid tone, so by adjusting the high end slider I arrived quickly at this version.

P1080758-1.JPG

I like to think that even that simple adjustment has improved the photograph somewhat.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  4. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    Image is lacking bright spots so my guess is underexposed as well. Makes the image look a bit grey.
    For black and white I always set a white point and a black point (I use Photoshop). The darkest part will then be black ant the brightest, which before was grey, will be white. If it's still to dark one can play around with the settings of the white point but the result will be blown highs.
    Hope you don't mind.

P10807581.JPG

White point is set in the glasses to the far right. Black point is in the hair by the ear. The sharpening I added isn't the best but I just wanted to se what it looked like.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Don't mind at all!

I hope you don't mind if I use those two edits as springboards for my next attempt?

• Like Like x 2
  6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Be my guest, and I'm sure macjansson would say the same, that's what the site is all about, mutual co-operation, good luck with your efforts.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  7. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    :thiagree:

• Like Like x 2