1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First Travel Video with PEN video rig

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by pathlesspedaled, Nov 22, 2011.

1. pathlesspedaled

pathlesspedaled Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 16, 2011
    Shot this on the train coming down from Oregon to California entirely on EP3 + 9-18mm. Thought I'd test out the gear on Amtrak before we head over to New Zealand. I've noticed that shooting wide angle (9-18) helps mitigate jello shutter, but its still present. Is the GH2 that much better in terms of minimizing it?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kYncfBywPw]Amtrak Sleeper Car / Roomette: Coast Starlight - PathLessPedaled.com - YouTube[/ame]

Audio was a mix from the Sennheiser MKE 400 and a cheapie AT wired lav.

[​IMG]

Best,
    Russ
    The Path Less Pedaled

• Like Like x 2
  2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Loved it. It's well made :).

3. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Very nice! I was wondering, how much is one of those bikes normally?

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Nice. I've never notice much jello in my GH2. It's lauded as one of the best for video, and probably not much bigger than the EP3. If you can play around with shutter speed, I'd play around with that a bit and see if deviating from the rule-of-thumb 1/2x frame rate makes any difference. You'll be restricted by light availability and ISO noise of course, but it looks like you've got a long train ride to play!

Also, try moving the flash bracket out to it's longest length. You'll get less camera shake (and thus less jello) the farther you can get your hands away from the CoG of the camera.

5. pathlesspedaled

pathlesspedaled Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 16, 2011
    John - Thanks for the tips. I'm considering getting a GH2 after playing with the PENs. The jello really bothers me, esp at long focal lengths.

Vin - The bromptons are nice, but can be a bit spendy. They start around 1100 US.