1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First time using RAW instead of Jpeg. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by jambaj0e, Oct 7, 2010.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    5057341462_50ecb4b8b4_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After using Jpegs exclusively on my E-PL1, I finally ventured to RAW+Jpegs. I found it amazing, especially w/ using Olympus's ib software to tweak the RAW files. What do you guys think about this photo? This was shot on the kit zoom lens.

Also, among the popular softwares out there for processing RAW (on a PC), what are the advantages/disadvantages of each one?

Thanks!!

2. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Good shot. How did the jpeg look?

Until I started using Lightroom 3, I did the raw+jpeg thing. But the workflow of Lightroom is so good, I gave up on jpegs and just go raw now. When I import into Lightroom it saves the orginal file but converts the raw file into Adobe's own DNG ("digital negative") format (using embedded Adobe Camera Raw). You then work on that DNG file non-destructively. You can then print through Lightroom (or easily export to jpeg). And the noise reduction features of Lightroom are so good that it will give you at least another stop to work with. (If you download Lightroom from Adobe, you will get a 30-day free trial.)

Being a Panasonic guy I haven't tried the Olympus software, even though my daughter has the E-PL1. I've tried a few different programs (mostly Silkypix, Raw Therapee, and Sagelight), but I think Lightroom leaves them all in its dust. If, however, you do invest in Lightroom, I strongly suggest the video tutorials from Luminous Landscape.

No, I don't have stock in Adobe.

3. Vulcanrider

Vulcanrider Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2010
    Love the texture in this shot. And, it shows-off the dynamic range.

I would like to see this shot from a lower angle (but that's just mho), with the entire post in focus.

thanks for posting and let us know how the RAW is going (I am just starting into RAW).

regards,
    Alan

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah but ... what's this got to do with RAW files?
    What I mean is : in what way does this photo impress you COMPARED TO what you would have had as a result of using Jpeg only?
    To the audience (seeing a jpeg in a browser) that is just a photograph : nice and sharp, nice bit of wood. I'd venture to say you could have got the exact same quality from only Jpeg : you might want to describe how that isn't quite true.

i.e: tell me I'm wrong. :smile:

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Unfortunately what you are seeing in software and what we see - a compressed for upload web image - are not the same so comparisons are impossible. I like the details in the texture and colour of this shot.

Btw I own Photoshop CS4, Lightroom 3 and Silkypix and have trialled a number of other RAW converters. My current workflow uses LR. There are a number of free alternatives like Raw Therapee that are well regarded too. Most have free trials so get downloading and see what ticks most boxes for you.

6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I shoot raw + jpeg. The raw file gets deleted pretty quickly unless I look at it and see something that needs fixing. If it can be fixed in camera, I'll do it there, otherwise I will use UFraw later. Once there's a jpeg in the camera that I like, the raw gets ditched for space. I just don't have the storage space for raw files; they're not little, like film negatives are.

7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I switched from JPEG to RAW+JPEG when Olypus Viewer 2 came out.

I was never particularly happy with the RAW conversions from the earlier Olympus Master 2 software. Seemed like a lot of effort to get something that was usually worse than the JPEG.

The Olympus Viewer 2 software always gave me something that was at least as good.

I played with Lightroom 3 while it was in beta but hated the interface.

I picked up a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS5 and now use Adobe Camera Raw. It took quite a while to figure it out but now I have saved a number of RAW setting profiles for my common shooting conditions.

Once you get the hang of it, with a good RAW processing program, you can get a lot more out of your images than you can manage out of JPEGS, plus you get a second chance (or as many times as you want), which is somewhat limited with JPEGs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.