1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First time using a studio & lighting for a Model shoot. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by jambaj0e, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey guys,
    So I finally uploaded some of the photos from my photoshoot workshop. Hopefully these will be of better quality than the first set I posted here.

This was also the first time I used a studio and its lighting. I believe I had a monolight to the left of my camera as my key light (as well as the light from my E-PL1), as well as a secondary light with an umbrella on my right side. It's kinda hard to remember the set up, since it was already set up for the workshop. I just go in and start shooting

Let me know what you think. I'll post my gallery, then some photo samples:

10-10-10 Fame in Can Photoshoot: Set 02 - Mu-43 Gallery

W-PA103305.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    W-PA103303.jpg

W-PA103321.jpg
    W-PA103323.jpg

W-PA103376.jpg
    W-PA103358.jpg

W-PA103385.jpg
    W-PA103387.jpg

2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
  3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Biggest improvement is for sure the models looking into the camera
    - Guess you were talking to them

The light looks pretty good to me, posing is distracting me most.
    - The nose of the blond looks pretty long (probably even longer than it really is) in most pictures...
    - The dark lady in red is better captured, but no picture really pops-out

Boddy aiming forward under 45 degrees seems to work best
    - Maybe some joking or teasing would helpt to get some more expressions on their faces

4. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like #4 of the lady in red the best. A nice, flirty pose.

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

W-PA103323.jpg

I like this one Joe. I'm sure glad you were able to take some hints from last time because I have the pleasure of seeing your work now. It was worth it, because this one is great. She is relaxed and has a cute expression too! Good onya....

icon

PS. maybe if you put 'Model shoot with Studio Lighting' as the title of the thread you may get more views. I actually thought it was a thread about Studio Lighting!

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Ironically, these photos were shot the same day as the first set, just later on and with oher models.

7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like the interaction you have with the model, that is important. What focal length lens are you using? I think she looks best in the second to last from the first set. When a woman has a long nose you need to use a longer lens and softer light to make it not look too prominent.

8. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Let me preface my comments by saying I mean absolutely no disrespect at all with what I'm about to say so please don't take it that way.

I've never taken any photography workshops at all so I'm coming from a position of absolutely no experience at all. What I'm wondering is, if the lights are already positioned, set to the correct power, the ratio is already calculated and accounted for, and all you do is step in and press the shutter, how much are you really learning about lighting? The art of lighting is about knowing where to position the lights, how to meter each light to give the best result, etc. It seems that a situation like you describe takes you completely out of that equation.

Your images are very good. But I'm guessing that anyone with a camera in that situation could have stepped in and come away with exactly the same shots.

9. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Icon, I think you indeed selected the best one
    - Funny that they were taken same day AND look better
    - More "easy" models?

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I like the first two you posted plus the first B & W

some of them I'm not keen on at all

which do the models prefer?

I'm no expert by the way

11. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    It was actually more of a general model photoshoots workshop, with a studio room available. One of the photographers was giving various tips on lighting calibration on my camera and adjusted the Lighting around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.