1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First time u4/3 user, long time 4/3 user

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DoofClenas, Nov 12, 2012.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I've been lurking around here for a few days now, in anticipation of my new E-PM2 camera (in silver). As the subject states, I've been shooting 4/3 since 2007, but this will be my first steps into the micro water on Thursday (when it is due to arrive). I used an XZ-1 as a backup (or my wife's camera) to my E-5, but we sold it last month, thinking that we would buy an XZ-2. Well, we couldn't wait any longer, scratch that, I couldn't wait any longer, and convinced my wife, and she agrees, that the E-PM2 will be the right choice for us.

Now all I need to do is find an adapter so that I can test out my 7-14, 12-60, 50mm, 50-200 SWD, and 135-400mm. I'm assuming my FL-36's will work, if I need a bigger flash in a pinch.

Suggestions on where to find a silver adapter?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The Panasonic DMW-MA1 is gray, and the Viltrox JY-43F (eBay) has a silver option. They're functionally equivalent. The 7-14 and 12-60 should be slow but fairly accurate. The 50 and 50-200 are more hit and miss.

3. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Found a used one for $80, does that sound like a fair price?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Personally, I prefer a black adapter for all my black Four-Thirds lenses, rather than an adapter that matches my body color (which changes on a regular basis, unlike my lens color). I find that a black adapter and black lens on an off-color body looks a lot more natural than a colored adapter on a black lens. The Olympus MMF-3 is black, and also weather sealed. Your lenses are all weather sealed, so that will help extend their sealing right to the camera mount. One day you may decide to get an OM-D, in which case your MMF-3 will retain a fully weather sealed system for you with your full collection of existing lenses. That's the route I would go.

If you really want a silver adapter, then the Viltrox is probably your best bet. The grey Panny adapter will not match, although it is nicely built (as well as the Oly MMF-1, which uses the same metal but is white). The newer adapters like the MMF-2 and MMF-3 (both black, but only the 3 is weather sealed) use a lighter aluminum alloy instead of the heavier magnesium alloy of the older models. Even with a lighter metal though, the MMF-3 (probably because of the weather sealing) seems to have the most solid and secure fit of them all.

At any rate, your E-PM2 is going to make a much nicer companion to the E-5 than the XZ-1 or XZ-2, so good choice! :D Yes, your FL-36's will work exactly the same on the E-PM2 as on the E-5, including RC wireless if you have the R-series flash units. Besides the newer FL-600R, the FL-36R is still one of the best "little" flash guns available so I always keep one in my intermediate sized bag, with all my "big guns" in the backpack.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd say so - I paid a fair bit more for mine last year. It's ~$100 new now. The 3rd party JY-43F is around $55.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I paid $200 for my Panny DMW-MA1. That was $50 cheaper than the Olympus MMF-1 at the time. :D Those were the only options back when the first Pen came out. Notice, no options in black... even though nearly all Four-Thirds lenses are black. lol.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome Clint, from another 'troll'.

(To non-Michiganders those of us who live in the lower peninsula of Michigan are considered to be trolls by the residents of the UP (upper peninsula) because we "live under the (Mackinac) bridge)...

Jim

8. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Thanks everyone...

9. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    W00t. It came two days early! Charging the battery now.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Great to hear! Enjoy your new camera. ;)

11. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Welcome to the forum!