First time post/potential buyer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zayn, Sep 24, 2016.

1. zayn

zayn New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2016
    Hi! I literally just found this forum 10 minutes ago and manage to find some tips but I just want to know a little bit of everyone's experiencing with buying items from forum members. Thanks!
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    zayn, I've purchased a lens, software and a neck strap from members of this forum. Both sales went swimmingly. I would suggest you look at how long the seller has been a member of the forum, how many posts they have, what their posts consist of and least important IMO, whether they have sales feedback. This is one of best forums on the net for civil behavior and Amin clamps down on scammers and bad behavior.
    Glad to see you've found us!
  3. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I have done a lot of buying/selling and trading on this forum (30+ transactions I would guess) and have never had a problem with anyone.
  4. zayn

zayn New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2016
    I am glad I did as well and thank you Carbonman for the response! Being a first timer here with little to no feed back, I reckon it'd be rather difficult for me to buy things let alone sell things.
  5. zayn

zayn New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for replying! I hope all goes well for me too as I engulf myself with this hobby. I'm new to anything related to camera overall, but I'm learning and I like nice things too.
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I buy and sell here once in a while. IIRC about ten transactions, all with positive feedback. (700+ on eBay over 15 years.) I always look at the on-line personality of the person I'm doing a transaction with. A regular poster over a year or more tells me the guy is probably not a scammer even if there is no buy/sell feedback. For a new member I might avoid buying. For a new buyer, I might ask for a cashier's check instead of taking PayPal. I have read stories where a scammer claimed he/she received an empty box and the seller is out the merchandise and the money.

As far as condition, good pictures tell all. I have never had a purchase (or a sale) where there was any defective merchandise either deliberately or accidentally. I don't worry a bit about that.

IMO the forum is an excellent way to get and try equipment, then to sell it if I don't like it for some reason. For example, right now I'm selling a 100-400mm Pan-Leica that I bought for a July photo safari and now have little or no use for. Getting equipment by buying used and reselling is much cheaper than renting.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I've only had good experience here and other sites I've bought and sold stuff on, but I'm pretty careful as well.
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I've bought and sold a few things here with no problems at all.

Note that if you use PayPal as a purchase transaction, the Buyer Protection is good enough to protect from most issues.