1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First time m4/3 user, just ordered an m10, leaving full frame

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by swede, Oct 25, 2014.

1. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Hi, Been a lurker here for a long time.
    The decision to leave my FF gear was made this summer and i looked around for other alternatives.
    I had spent two years building up a nice FF system and was convinced that it was what i needed (autofocus and thin dof).
    As it turned out, just as i thought i was done and set, alot of factors made me rethink.
    I have a family of two children 4 year and 8 months, just bought a house that we're restoring. So this summer i got tired of the weight and size of my full frame gear, and along with other factors (economy and priorities) i decided.

So here i am... i guess the tipping point was when i found the "Native lens images" threads... because i was a little afraid of the smaller sensor size regarding dof. Yes.. i've been a thin dof junkie :big grin:
    But really.. the member images posted on this forum is fantastic. And i also realized that sensor size is not of importance to me anymore. The most important factor now is to find a system that fits my familys needs both economically and size/weight. And also, get me back to enjoying photography again, which i didn't in the end with my FF gear.

Thanks for a great forum, and i'll be posting images as soon as i can! (waiting for camera and a lens)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi swede
    Welcome to the forum and the system
    You cant go wrong with an EM10 - great choice for your first foray into M43
    Do consider the Olympus ECG1 grip if you've not already done so - its a superb addition to the camera and greatly improves ergonomics and stability with larger lenses
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    If you are a thin dof junkie, don't sell your FF yet. I know it's not good for wallet but you need to try it yourself first. If you want portrait with thin dof, you will need Oly 75mm and PL42.5mm or CV 42.5mm (manual focus). They are not cheap. The cheap alternative is O 45mm. for normal lens, there is 25mm from O or PL. Not cheap either. But they are smaller than the FF counterpart. Very enjoyable system with great IQ but not for thin dof for sure. If you sell your FF and decide it's not for you, it will be very costly to buy FF back. Welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Yup, there are some great photographers on this forum, and their sample images are the best advertisement for MFT.

Are you getting your E-M10 with the kit zoom? It's a good lens and you'll be able to get great photos with it. If you want thinner DOF, the easiest acquisition is a manual focus SLR lens, something like a 50mm/1.8. A fast fifty with a cheap adapter will cost maybe $50 or $60, and it'll be lots of fun to play with. Check the adapted lens showcase threads for samples.

• Like Like x 2
  5. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Actually i've already sold everything a month ago. I decided also to sell while there was still value in the camera body. Not selling was not an option because i want smaller system. I "was" a thin dof junkie, thought that was the most important thing to my photography. However in the end i realised it was one of the least important, and along with everything else that led me to my desision.

That being sad, im still planning to explore the abilities of the m4/3 system and i know what is possible to do and not. The oly primes will have to cover my most neerdy needs, and yet to an affordable and justifiable price. After all, i have other things in my life i need to spend money on :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi swede, welcome to the forum
    Adding to what bacil already said, you could check out the Oly 45/1.8 or the Sigma 60/2.8 as good cheaper alternatives. Or, if you like the idea to play with manual focus, lenses like the vintage Jupiter 9, 85mm/2 or the Nikon E Series 50mm/1.8 could be other options.

You could also try one on the lenses you already own with a cheap plastic adapter: if they are modern lenses you will not be able to control the aperture that will always remain wide open and of course there will be no AF, but you could get a nice portrait lens out of a 50mm lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Haha. You are in a good track. I sold my Nikon d600 and d800 and many FF lenses like 85mm 1.2, 135mm f2, Zeiss 100mm and even 200mm f2. Because I mainly take pictures of my 5 year old son I sometimes miss them. I miss the dof and smooth rendering but not the size or wight. So I am now a happy owner of e-m5 and 25, 45, 75mm combination. I want e-m10 too, a great camera.

• Like Like x 1
  8. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    My goal is to start with ol25 and maybe the 45, later on i will explore manual options.
    You say nikkor e 50, why not oly 50 1.8?

9. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    +1 what Richard and Lorenzo said. If you don't have problem with mf, try vintage lenses. They are great and sometimes cheap. That Jupiter 85mm is on my list because of its unique rendering but too bad my eyes are not good enough and my son is just too fast for mf.

10. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I used nikon to :) d600 with 4 primes and 70-200/4....
    Also looking into the 25/45/75 combo, butcthe 75 have to wait... Pricey :p

11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Because I bought it two weeks ago :)

I chose this lens because it is really small, I already had the adapter and I found a good offer on ebay. The Oly 50mm OM should be another perfect alternative.
    Even better could be the "half-frame" Pen F lenses (38/1.8, 40/1.4, 42/1.2) for the Pen because I think that there will be less wasted light bouncing around and "washing out" things at wide apertures. But are harder to find and in a different price range.

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Welcome to the forum. The best camera is the one that's with you when you need it. MUCH more comfortable to carry m4/3's around than fullframes. I think you will be pleased how light and "easy" the camera is. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Thats what I'm after also, being able to have a camera in my pocket when outside or even inside. i might get the 17 2,8 just to have an really small combination.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Another small lens is the 20/1.7, many people love this lens and many hate it for the slow AF in low light.

I'm going to share my experience with the EM-10. I started looking for the smallest possible kit and I bought the 14-42 EZ kit and added the Oly 40-150 and the 60/2.8 macro. Later I bought a used 12-40/2.8 and added the 20/1.7 to have a small faster companion.
    Today the lens I use most is the 12-40. Only when the size is critical, not very often, I take the EZ zoom or the 20/1.7 only. The 12-40 is expensive but can actually be an alternative to a few primes saving moneys.

You could also look at refurbished Olympus stuff, I didn't in the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    thin dof will be much harder and more expensive with m43. However, for family and travel photography you just need a little bit of isolation for 3d effect which m43 is perfect for. The biggest issue with m43 right now is that AF cannot keep up with sports/action.

• Like Like x 1
  16. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I am aware of the few "downsides" compared to my previous gear. Thats the hardest part coming from a higher standard overall. But im changing because of everything that is better with m4/3. Regarding thin dof, i will accept what the 1.8 primes can give me and they are certainly not more expensive than FF primes.

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Oly 75mm f1.8 is 2-3x more expensive than Canon 85mm f1.8 and is still far less flexible in terms of working distance and shallow DoF with substantially worse tracking and continuos AF.

18. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Well, depends on how one relate to fov and focal length. The equivalence debate is always a hot potato, and no one agrees with anyone :D

I see it this way. The Oly 45 1.8 is cheaper than my full frame 85mm. The Oly 75 1.8 is way much cheaper than any full frame 135mm or 200mm f/2 or f/2,8 autofocus lens, that i would have if i had full frame. The Oly 75 could be comparable to the old Nikkor AF-D 180 f/2,8 ED with is a fantastic lens.

• Like Like x 3
  19. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Welcome aboard.

Whenever someone moves from one brand or system to the other there is bound to be kind folk telling you why it is a mistake or cheering you on for your wonderful choice. What is most important in the end is how you intend to use your new equipment and that your choice is for your reasons and not those of the many who love to give you their opinion.

Enjoy your gear and share your images for our enjoyment.

Dave T:thumbup:

• Like Like x 4
  20. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I have slowly replaced most of my Nikon FF gear with M43.
    50/1.4 -> 25/1.4
    105 macro -> 60 macro
    180/2.8 -> 75/1.8
    24/70 -> 12/40
    15mm fisheye -> 7.5 fisheye
    etc.

I haven't had any regrets at all - just love the small format. Even the "big" M4/3 lenses seems small to me

I'm still holding on to my D700 + 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 - but I think I'll sell them to fund the new 40-150/2.8

• Like Like x 1