1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First Time-Lapse with E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brewster, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hello all,

This is my first "real" post on Mu-43. I added an E-PL1 with the kit lens and the 40-150 to my bag last March. Since then, I've become addicted to it and almost never touch my FF DSLR (may actually sell out of the FF stuff next year).

Anyway, a couple of nights ago I had some spare time and thought I'd try shooting a time-lapse of the sunset from my back deck. The E-PL1 doesn't offer any kind of functionality with external timers so I "McGivered" a solution by setting the camera to continuous drive, stretching a rubber band around the body and inserting a dime between the rubber band and the shutter button. This caused the camera to start firing at about 2 or 3 frames per second and I left it to it's duties for about 45 minutes before it stopped due to a full 4GB card. The resulting 3755 jpegs were brought into iMovie for transformation into a .mov file. I added titles and exported from Aperture 3 and sent it to Vimeo.

I learned a bunch and look forward to doing more soon. Check it out on my blog at Bruce L. Snell.

• Like Like x 6
  2. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love your solution! Your video is excellent. I take it you used manual exposure settings and shot in JPEG. Wonderful stuff.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Cool stuff, Bruce, and welcome to the user group!

4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Cool idea Brewster. I wonder if the timing between shots can be varied by programming in a pre-shot delay, or whether that it bypassed with the continuous shot mode... Hmm. Maybe I will grab my camera and try

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Just tried, continous mode and anti-shock set at 4 seconds. Sure enough, with the shutter button held down, it took shots every 4 seconds. Cool!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Oh man! Wish I'd have thought about that! Thanks for the tip!

7. Yup, manual mode, manual wb, manual focus, medium jpeg. Next time, going with a smaller jpeg because medium was overkill.

8. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Now your idea makes me want to come up with the right rubber band and coin combo or something similar so that I can actually set the bulb time and anti-shake and get some real on-tripod long exposures. This may be a way around the lack of cable or remote release options for E-PL1

9. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
  10. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I haven't really looked too much into my E-PL1 yet, but how is this done please:thumbup:

11. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    Ignore above, i have just found it myself, helps if i look eh?

12. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    Absolutely fabulous.

And thanks to AVIDONE too!

PapaDee

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Great McGuyver!

14. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Just tried this with my E-600 and my E-P1 using the Olympus remote, with the shutter button locked down. Works great. I'll have to try to take some actual shots with it. Been wanting to figure this out for a while, can't believe it was this easy.

15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Wonder if this can be done on Pany bodies? My GH2 has a continuous burst mode ... the first few pics are taken really fast, but then it slows down a bit. But even the slowest mode is 2 pictures / second. Even with a big card, that may not add up to much elapsed time. Hmmm.

Edit: quick calculation based on user manual: using 16GB card, taking small (4MB) Fine JPEG files, estimate 5550 shots. At 2 pics/sec this is 2775 seconds, or 46.25 minutes.

16. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Very interesting! Thanks!

17. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That's ace Bruce.
    An amazing wealth of information in this forum.

18. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I already read a few of your blog posts (patience and working alone) before.

Glad to see you here as well. Welcome and good stuff with the time-lapse.

I would have been very nervous letting my camera shot that many pictures in a run!
    After all it's mechanical stuff :)

19. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    I saw a youtube video from a guy who did a similar trick with a rubber band using a Canon S95. Looked to be a cool trick. I like the way your sunset worked out.

20. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Great solution for a lack of remote/cable release for the EPL1! I will be trying it when an opportunity arises.

Your video turned out excellent!