First street with GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Today was the first chance to try the GX1 for some street - very cold and not many people about!

I wanted to try the camera with the 20mm to see how it compares with the GF1 (just sold mine to a friend) - I have to say..........the IQ is definitely better to my eyes than what I got from the GF1, not a huge difference but the images look cleaner/sharper with better tonality.

The AF is blisteringly fast though and almost instant so a real advantage!

I have done my usual and converted the images using SFX and here are the results:

Waiting_for_a_lift_SFX.

Bus_timetable_SFX.

Locals_SFX.

Rollup_SFX.

Almost_a_Kodak_moment_SFX.

Paint_job_SFX.

• Like Like x 10
  2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Love the baby buggy in front of the Kodak store! All great shots (as usual :cool: )

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Almost a Kodak moment

Thanks Bob,

I called this image - "Almost a Kodak moment" and it appealed to me - the slow death of one and the birth of another.

4. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Kevin
    LOL! So how common is a 50's Chevrolet pickup in your parts?

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Its about as common as Hens teeth!

I know the owner, he is a window cleaner by trade and bought this a few years ago, he has rebuilt the engine and done a superb job on the body work (not sure about the paint job though).

It sounds beautiful and purrs but with the fuel prices we have in the UK, he does not use it as his runabout!

6. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Lovely shots as usual Ian, how are you finding the GX1?

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Chrism,

Early days and only had it a week and due to work not able to do any constructive shooting until yesterday the cold kept people away.

My personal feelings / observations so far are:
    1. Slightly smaller than GF1 but good grip negates any issues with holding
    2. Better build quality than GF1 (that was superb), solid metal even buttons
    3. Blisteringly fast AF
    4. IQ seems quite a bit better than GF1 and when used with 20mm, images seem to "POP"

I have yet to accept and use the touch screen but will give it time.

I must say I have no regrets with what to me is definitely an Upgrade from the GF1 and I must learn to use it well to get the best from it - rather annoyed by 2 points that are not camera related:

1. Manual is now CD only rather than hard copy like GF1
    2. The Ever Ready case is not currently available in UK (I have one but had to write & complain to EU MD to get it - it is a lovely well made case) and UK Customer Service response to Emails / web requests is some of the worst I have ever seen.

8. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Ian, sounds like a cracking wee camera!

9. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Iansky,

Great shot with the pickup truck. The tonal range in that shot is fantastic. The paint on the truck is great; the patina adds to the photo!

By the way, did you get the LVF2 for your GX2? Thinking about that, but not sure if I am going to splurge for that versus saving for another lens.

Cliff

10. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    A really enjoyable set - Love the post processing. The expression of the lady in the first image is priceless!

11. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Excellent setup Ian and wonderful images, yes, I do notice a pop the 20mm/gx1 seems like a match made in heaven.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    LVF2

Hi Cliff,

Yes, I had the LVF1 that I used with the GF1 and wanted to get the LVF2 for the GX1 as there are occasions when it is a real advantage - the improvement is amazing over the LVF1.