First Signs Of A Saturated Market?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MajorMagee, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I get e-mail adverts from Olympus on a regular basis. What made this last one a bit different was the phrase "Upgrade or add a second body to your bag at a great price."

Is Olympus letting on that they think their market share has reached the saturation point and they're now limited to just selling to previous customers versus being able to attract new converts?

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Major!

Thom Hogan had a couple of articles:

The dpreview Interviews | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Why CP+ Was So Grim | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

I don't think that Toshi Terada-san believes that the market is saturated. In part Terada-san is quoted as saying:

'We have three groups of people buying our cameras - OM-D users are mostly people who would have bought a DSLR, then you have users stepping up from compacts and buying PEN models. Then, finally, you have DSLR users who are buying PEN as a second camera..."

I think offers to discount "second bodies" are just to insure that no potential sale is overlooked - and to keep current users aware of the product line. The folks on this forum are more...umm...energetic in keeping up with :43: gear than perhaps the average "tourist" photographer. Sending emails to owners (including the "tourist" photographer) is a pretty inexpensive way of keeping the company name in front of the crowd.

I'm more bugged with the lens offers...it bugs me I can't afford 'em all :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :thiagree:

4. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    or maybe they want to sell all their E-M5 before announcing the E-M6? ;)

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    That's what I'm afraid of, Eric...

The Princess of the Exchequer is not going to want to hear about a new camera upgrade anytime soon :eek:.

(Although I can't really think of anything that would prompt me to move to an EM-6, the EM-5 pretty much gets me where I need to go).

But if they release a 200mm fast prime I'm in real trouble...:biggrin:.

I filled in an Olympus survey today and got a coupon for 5% off of my next purchase - if I make it at the Olympus store and if the purchase is made by the end of February.

Unfortunately I don't have the "divorce discount coupon" that would also be required...

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  6. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    lol... I still have a few arguments here... I will eventually need a second body (because I don't count my wife's E-PM2 as one since it's her camera). Maybe the E-M6 will be that last nail in the coffin to sell the rest of my Canon gear. ;)

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    There could be a far more simple explanation.

It is very likely the reason that you are on the 'Olympus mailing list' reflects the fact that you bought an Olympus camera. So, by definition, any new camera you buy will either be an 'upgrade' or a 'second' body.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Yeah, I got the same deal! Sadly, I also just bought a house. Still, 5% off that 75mm is pretty substantial...

9. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm looking forward to an EM-6 coming out so I can make a move on an EM-5 if they drop the price enough.
    Not all of us are made of money ;-)

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In this article:

Why CP+ Was So Grim | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Thom Hogan discusses data that shows that:

1) Compact cameras lose market in relation to interchangeable lens cameras (both mirrorless and DSLRs). IMHO, they lose even more against mobile phones.

2) There seems to be a slight erosion of DSLR market from MILCs.

It has been shown during the last 2 years or so that only higher end compact cameras seem to hold up to mobile phones. There is possibly an exception in superzooms/bridge cameras which probably hold their market share.

It makes sense for Olympus, IMHO, to clear up their whole camera line. A high end compact would probably gain a good market share. They have their superzoom and Tough cameras which are specialized. :43: is then the only market segment which has real future growth potential.

This doesn't mean Olympus, or any other company will not try to get the most it can from its existing customer base.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Rule one of product sales. Your products will be cannibalized (new products, other brands, etc). Might as well be you doing the cannibalizing... Hence why McDonalds and Starbucks overlap geographic coverage by putting stores 4 blocks from their last one. They want to not miss an opportunity at the corporate level.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This seems very likely to me, it just makes sense. :cool: