1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First shots with the EP-3

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Lurch, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    So after an entire day of refreshing the Australia Post tracking page, my EP-3 arrived. I also picked up a VF-2 this morning.
    Needless to say, straight home and a memory card in it to start playing.
    I've only got the kit 14-42 at the moment.
    • The focus is amazing
    • The IQ is exceptionally good, and I love the 'pop' of the vivid setting for JPGs
    • I've got a good, fast Sandisk Ultra in there, but the write speed is a bit ordinary. Is that just the camera showing its age?

Less talk, more pics....

The very first shot, outdoors. It kept wanting to focus on the background, even tho I had it set to spot focus. But manually focusing until the flower (read: weed) was mostly in focus helped the AF lock on.

14011343723_d08be00e3c.
    EP230010 by Mr Lurch, on Flickr

Next was in doors to see how it handled noise at high ISO. I locked the auto-ISO max to 1250.
    Here is the original, certainly a touch of grain at 100%, but nothing to be concerned about.

13968246956_15a9bbe62e.
    EP230008 by Mr Lurch, on Flickr

And a quick blast with Topaz DeNoise

13991357975_e677e5f8d4.
    EP230008-Edit by Mr Lurch, on Flickr

All in all, I *really* like it for the (very) quick time Ive played with it. The camera itself has a very confident heft to it which I like and the overall build quality is very good.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Lurch

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    So another day and I'm loving it more and more. Especially considering this a 3 year old camera with just a kit lens.
    Once I turned off noise reduction and found the premier time-out the speed has picked up too.
    I may be the only person to ever say this, but I think I actually prefer an EVF now....
    How much am I enjoying it? I sold my K-3 today to fund a E-M10.
    I have found the images a bit noisy. ISO 1250 is about as high as I'm happy to go. But in saying that, they clean up stunningly in PP, more so than the K-3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I also love the 12 mp Olympus cameras. I have a refurb EPL2 for my second camera and a VF3 . . . the colors are stunning. Perfect for what I shoot - vacations and around town sort of stuff. Did you figure out the "Super Control Panel"? Always thought the controls on the Olympus was too "fiddley" - once I started using the SCR it improved the shooting experience by leaps and bounds. Congrats on the purchase.

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Only thing I disliked about my ep3 was the circle dial and the wheel dial feeling a bit awkward. And the shutter was kinda chunky sounding. I loved the files and the size and heft of the body. I just used a gariz finger strap and the larger front grip on it. Super nice and portable!

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'm an E-P3 fan as well. I always seem to sell mine off when the "next big thing" comes along, then I miss it, and hunt down another. I have two now, a black and a silver. The silver one sits by my computer, always ready for that family snapshot or cool bird in the yard. There is something about the files I really like, and I agree, the heft/balance just seems perfect. Now I'm looking for an older 14-42 or a silver 14-42II R lens to match the silver body. Maybe a VF-1 or VF-2 in silver as well.

6. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Congrats! The EP3 is a great camera! I love mine and have taken some great shots with it. It is very customizable, just a wonderful camera. I always think about upgrading but I cannot bring myself to do when I am still getting such nice shots out of this "old" camera. :smile:

SRHEdD - I have a silver14-42 just sitting in a drawer. It has not been on the camera since I made the move to primes. It's in like new condition and I'm willing to part with it if you are interested.

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Sure! PM sent.

8. Lurch

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    What is this Super Control Panel you speak of? Sounds interesting :D

Yeah, the dial can be quite awkward, especially when shifting through the menus. Its real easy to turn instead of push and end up in the wrong place.
    The 'clunky' shutter I dont mind. I find it gives it a really purposeful sound/feel. Pentax make a huge deal about how quiet their shutters/mirrors are and I actually dont like it. It was the main thing I missed from the D800.

9. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012
    I'd definitely recommend getting the large grip, makes it feel a whole lot more secure in the hand...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I find this with every m4/3rds Olympus body : a bit too keen on the background!

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'm old school enough that the first thing I do is limit the camera to the center focus point (and as small as possible). Shot that way ever since AF was available. I prefer the "old way" to choose my subject immediately, focus, lock AE/AF (sometimes), shift composition and shoot. It is kind of second nature to me. That's all picture-related stuff, and looking at the screen/EVF to decide if the camera agrees with me on the AF point never resonated. I also prefer aperture priority and shutter priority modes, but then, I'm a geezer. It was hard enough for me to trust THOSE.

I have come to LOVE the touch screen though. Compose and then TOUCH my critical point for focus. That's really sweet.

Canon used to have a "depth mode" where you showed the two focus points and the camera would select an aperture to make everything in between in focus. I'd like to see that implemented on an Oly body, especially now that the camera can also choose an ISO along with the aperture.

12. If I recall correctly this was also true with PDAF focusing on DSLRs, but the first motion CDAF focusing system is to go towards infinity, so if the lens is already focused beyond your subject it is likely to find the background first and assume it is the subject and particularly so if you have a larger sized focus box selected. You can bring the initial point of focus forwards by pre-focusing on your hand or a close object.