First Shots with Oly 9-18

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ray Sachs, May 6, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Hi all. Got the 9-18 yesterday and went out looking for something to shoot. UWA is gonna be a learning process. I came up with very little in town, given how relatively small everything is to begin with and how much smaller once 9mm of UWA is applied. The first of these shots is of two of the largest buildings in our town, very close together, and this lens makes 'em look relatively puny. But it does allow me to capture almost all of both in the same shot. Then this morning I stopped by a nearby mall to get some weird indoor shapes. Nothing terribly impressive, but fun to check out the perspective of the lens. Anyway, here are a few, all at the extreme end of 9mm

-Ray

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4584014489/" title="9-18 059 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="9-18 059" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4584014311/" title="9-18 055 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="9-18 055" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4584642886/" title="9-18 056 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="9-18 056" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4584014391/" title="9-18 057 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"768" height="1024" alt="9-18 057" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/4584642974/" title="9-18 058 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="9-18 058" /></a>

• Like Like x 22
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray, Is it a safe assumption that you will probably keep the lens?

3. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Most likely! I'm not a real hyper-critical user of gear. Other people find flaws in all sorts of things that I'll never even SEE, let alone care about. So whatever imperfections this lens has, it give me a GREAT additional option for certain types of shooting. I can't wait to put this to use in and around some of the great old buildings in Europe this summer. And the size of the thing, which I DO care about, is amazing. Its almost a twin to the 14-42 kit lens. Just the slightest bit longer (at rest), but not quite as fat. But so close that you have to actually look to know which is which when you first pick one up. So, for me, yeah, a likely keeper.

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The final product looks great, gorgeous colour rendition, good white balance indoors and out.

Bokeh D

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Pen 2 9mm f4.0 6" from subject with AF
    This Rose is about 6" wide...so this gives an idea of the FOV....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    9mm

[​IMG]

11mm
    [​IMG]

14mm
    [​IMG]

18mm
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    No lack of sharpness on that lens to be sure. I may have mentioned I'm passing on this one for the 14-150 as that is more my shooting style. I want a lens that I'll put on and use 75% or more of the time. The super wide isn't one that would meet that criteria for me, but for many it is a tantalizing package. I tend to be a nut for perspective corrections as well, although some folks like those leaning buildings....:tongue:

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Great shots and great lens. But I think it is a bit expensive for now.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thanks RayS - love those indoor scenes... But Don AKA Streetshooter - you bought the lens, too?! Did you just get it today?

Very cool lens. Remind me what the widest f stop is again?

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    BB, Let's just say I have it. It's wonderful....Like Ray...it's a keeper for me too...

11. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Some nice shots of KoP there, Ray! :wink:

12. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Don, didn't realize yours' were from the same lens - thought you might have had the 4/3 version (there was one, right?). Yeah, I expect I'll find a lot of use for this lens.

And tpitch14, yeah, I was in the neighborhood this morning. There's always all sorts of weird geometry to shoot in a mall. I'm gonna try to do a field trip to Reading Terminal and downtown generally sometime next week.

-Ray

13. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    ooh, Reading Terminal could provide some interesting shots! Look forward to seeing those

14. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Hi BBW -

The fastest aperture is a very dark 4.0 (at 9mm) to 5.6 (at 18mm), so don't give up your fixed focal length UWA yet!

Like Ray, I got mine last night (from Amazon US) and like Ray, I still have to learn what to do with an UWA (I'm more of a telephoto guy).

One quick discovery: if you're going to be holding it horizontally (to avoid extreme distortions which set in remarkably quickly at 9 mm), you end up capturing a lot of the ground plane. The sidewalks around here (I was taking pix at lunch) are very dirty!

I'll try to post my first pix tonight when I get home.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I have to be honest. I am not a zoomie guy at all. I even thought that a 36mm 5.6 would be useless...
    then I realized that I usually use my 17 @ 8 or 11 anyway.
    This lens will be on one of my bodies at all times......

Ray...I'll be in Center City Sat morning...and at the Terminal that morning also.....
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  16. BBW

Thanks all. I'll be spending time here reading, looking at everyone's photos and living vicariously for now.

17. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Don,

Please make sure to post some Philly pictures for us to see.

Regards,

Antonio

18. BBW

Yes, I agree - we need some city of brotherly love shots...and old drinking music playing hangout shots, too!

19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I certainly will. I'm sure Ray will be doing the same.
    I got a few more to process later....

20. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm looking at next Thursday. My dog's at the vet all day so I don't have to be back any particular time to take her out. Taking the train into the city tends to be almost an all day event for me these days. Not sure if I'll be using the UWA in Reading terminal, but if the weather's decent, I'll give it a workout downtown. Probably the 17 mostly in the market. See if I can get a counter seat at Dinic's and watch the WHOLE world go by. ;)

-Ray