First shots with Baby Brownie Special, first overall failure developing

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
One thing to try is blacking out a room - not many people have the luxury of a dark-room but if you have some tape and bathroom or ensuite you might be able to make it light-tight with some card-board & tape over the windows. Not ideal but better than nothing (+ easy enough to return to normal when you're done) - I'm keen to try a bag but I suspect I'd burn-through a lot of test rolls practising my technique.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
For wider that normal 35mm film I found the stainless steel spirals gave me the least trouble. I found the Patterson ratchet spirals were very problematic if the bag got humid, or had residue chemicals on them. Forgotten which but when I used those patterson spirals I also used some sort of tank wash to remove any chemicals.

I'd love to find the SS spools, but you have to remember we're talking about 127. They come available rarely and when they do, they're expensive. Probably not worth it but I will be keeping my eyes open.

Can you cut the bad film to the correct width for practicing?
Not sure how I could trim less than 1mm off the edge and keep it straight. While it'd be nice to have something to practice with, I had no problem at all with 35mm. I know this is wider but other than another minute or two of fumbling I wouldn't expect many problems.

Check out this video on loading 120 to a Paterson reel. I found it while investigating this mess. Brilliant. I'm going to dig out a couple old photos and cut them to size for 120 and 127. Easy enough to set the reel up before it goes in the bag.

The BEST way to load 120 roll film (medium format) on a Patterson Development Reel - Bing video

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
One thing to try is blacking out a room - not many people have the luxury of a dark-room but if you have some tape and bathroom or ensuite you might be able to make it light-tight with some card-board & tape over the windows. Not ideal but better than nothing (+ easy enough to return to normal when you're done) - I'm keen to try a bag but I suspect I'd burn-through a lot of test rolls practising my technique.
You only need one. I sent a old roll off to a developer that came back with nothing on it, uncut. I can practice with it over and over.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Check this out. Most of it can be done in the light. $68 shipped US, would be paid for in 9 rolls and would give me a lot more choice in film.

FCK127 Mk.III kit - how to cut 120 film to 127 film format and roll it on a 127 spool - by CAMERHACK - Bing video

To add to it, I just spoke for a Brownie 127 some guy posted on CL for free, he just wanted to get rid of it. It looks to be in excellent condition and includes the case. I'm meeting him tomorrow. That makes 3 127 cameras.

I've been looking around and there aren't many other options for film. Maybe someone else will start manufacturing it in some kind of quantity. Even $8 roll would beat the current $13 or more.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I have used those Paterson plastic reels many times and once you master loading, the film stays nicely in the grooves but it is a bitch to get in the grooves. I suggest you practice loading with the ruined negatives in the light first and then in the dark. It looks as if the film is not flat and crinkled on the roll. Can't tell you what caused the splotches but might have something to do with the film not loaded properly so no real agitation. Try test loading and I also always used the twirling on Yankee tanks but did the upside-down agitation with Paterson.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have used those Paterson plastic reels many times and once you master loading, the film stays nicely in the grooves but it is a bitch to get in the grooves. I suggest you practice loading with the ruined negatives in the light first and then in the dark. It looks as if the film is not flat and crinkled on the roll. Can't tell you what caused the splotches but might have something to do with the film not loaded properly so no real agitation. Try test loading and I also always used the twirling on Yankee tanks but did the upside-down agitation with Paterson.
Please re-read the thread and look at the photos, especially the last one. The film is too wide. It's been measured with dial calipers. B&H has been notified, it's a QC issue. Rerapan is cutting 120 down to 127...poorly.
The mottling is called reticulation, and I'm told it's caused by humidity and heat. This may have been caused in the bag while I struggled to get the too-wide film in the reel, or possibly before it was ever sent to me.

The film is special order. It took 3 weeks to arrive. I put it directly in the refrigerator, exposed it a week later, and developed a week after that. So, it was either in the bag or before I got it. Either way, it's still too wide.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I'm getting a lot of feedback from another forum that has many film devotees. there are a lot of complaints about Rera quality. This is a snip from one post:

I sacrificed a roll of Rerachrome (snip) and took some measurements. The backing paper measured 47mm and the film maybe a quarter mm over 46. I tried loading this film in a stainless reel and in a Paterson reel, with similar (aggravating) results. In both cases the film resisted loading and repeatedly buckled (snip) . It wouldn't engage the ball bearings in the Paterson reel because of this--I had to force-feed the leading edge through the gate. When I did get it to feed, it buckled and jumped out of the track. On the stainless reel it kept buckling (for the same reason), though I did finally get it to wind on properly. I'm not at all certain that getting a stainless steel reel will solve the problem--I think it's probably the film.

So it looks like I was fighting more problems than just over-wide film. Another guy posted that he fumbled with a roll for hours.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I've been inclining towards the problem being caused by heat or moisture to the unexposed film as well. Possibly poor storage or shipping.
You're not alone in that, others have said the same. One thought it may have happened in the bag, other more experienced people think like you, the film was not handled correctly from the beginning.

Live and learn. I'm hoping B&H steps up and does something to rectify this. At this point even a store credit would work for me.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
You're not alone in that, others have said the same. One thought it may have happened in the bag, other more experienced people think like you, the film was not handled correctly from the beginning.

Live and learn. I'm hoping B&H steps up and does something to rectify this. At this point even a store credit would work for me.
I have a coworker of the same religious persuasion as the majority of B&H employees, whom I like to rib a little when I'm waiting on B&H to ship something or respond to communication: "I need your friends in NYC to hurry up!"

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Heard from B&H, they are refunding the full amount for the film.

Now then, I am debating whether to shoot the second roll or trash it. Since I am new to this and need all the practice I can get, I think I'll shoot it. I'm picking up a Brownie 127 today from a guy on CL who wants to give it away. I'll clean it up and shoot the roll to see what happens. I'd love to find out this new roll was cut correctly and I'm not near as fumble fingered as I seem!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom