First self-portrait

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by k4t, Apr 26, 2011.

1. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    My first attempt at a self portrait with my new camera.

And also my first attempt at creating black background through flash/exposure settings after reading about the technique on this site. (Well, I had to clean it up a bit in post-pro but at least I understand the concept now.)

The pose leaves a lot to be desired. I did manage some where I looked in the right direction but this was the nicest shot overall. Not too bad for holding the camera at stretch. I really should get a tripod...

Let me know if you think I've been a bit heavy handed with the post-processing. It had been a long day and the flash brought out all the shine on my face so I tried to tone it down.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kvanyai/5656610495/" title="P1000139.jpg by k4t_snaps, on Flickr"> 5656610495_df824031de_b. "683" height="1024" alt="P1000139.jpg"></a>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My first thought was, wow, your a girl. For some reason I thought you were a guy! And my second thought was, gee, aren't we aussies good looking.:smile:

Good job at the black back drop. Works well. Probably one thing I would do is have a little less sharpening but that's really neither here or there.

Maybe you could try bringing your gaze down a little. Your eyes are focusing on something slightly upwards.

But good onya for showing us. I'll havta have a go at the black back drop thing now. Has a nice effect.

see ya,
    icon

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You're very brave!
    Nice photo, but the funny thing is : the brightest area is your throat which isn't usually the brightest thing. I have no solution, just explaining what seemed a bit odd about the scene.
    That background is definitely black.

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi k4t,

Well, my first thought was, "she's beautiful".. That continued and in actuality was just about the only thought I had for several moments..

Thanks for sharing...

ps. icon... if you were planning an aussie meet and greet, it looks k4t would be a great place to start...:smile:

Cheers, Alan

5. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    If I'd known I would get so much flattery I would have posted portraits sooner. :blush:

I'll have to double check the sharpening settings on lightroom. I didn't do any deliberate sharpening but maybe there's some included as a default. I suspect the white neck probably has more to do with my foundation colour than any photographic issues so it demands a non-photographic solution.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Nice try k4t. I dunno what it is with these guys, I immediately thought "kat" when I read "k4t" and assumed you were a woman even before I learned your name.

If you're interested in learning more about lighting, I recommend this book (I just posted it in another post): Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting. It has a whole section on portrait lighting. It's a fantastic book.

• Like Like x 1