First review of the EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tdekany, Sep 9, 2013.

1. idp69

idp69 New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2012
    brisbane, australia
    time to save some money and cure the gas...

2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I can't even handle all the good news in this review. There are some pleasant surprises not in the leak, such as the ability to color correct jpegs on the fly.

EDIT - Other notes:

PDAF sounds great. Not quite as good as the D3/D4(duh), but it certainly seems to beat most APS-C systems. Yes, it works with M4/3 lenses. It doesn't cover the full imaging area, but is comparable to the best DSLRs(with the advantage of at least having C-AF to rely on should the target leave the PDAF zone). A shame it only works up to 6.5 fps(unless he's making a mistake). Still, that's a very solid number.

Virtually no rolling shutter. That's surprising, and another reason to be annoyed at the sucky video specs.

Buffer up to 40 RAW files at 10fps, or 51 at 6.5. Very nice.

He calls these the best SOOC jpegs he's ever seen. And again, given that he says most of his images are SOOC, I'm very impressed. I'm still a raw guy, but I really love these colors.

IQ seems to actually be better than the E-M5. He says a half-stop to a stop in noise, and about a stop better in dynamic range for the shadows. Nice! It doesn't seem like they're just jpeg improvements, although he is basing impressions on jpegs.

The camera is bigger, but it definitely doesn't look GH3 sized to me, like he says. Looks close to the GH2, which I'm fine with. Same height at E-M5 but wider and obviously thicker. This thickness shouldn't matter if you've got a lens mounted, although it's certainly an inconveniece if you carry the camera and lenses separately as I used to do.

Also, $1400, 1300 Euro. Glad to see my european friends aren't getting scammed too much this time!

3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Just read through DPreview's first impressions. This camera looks killer. Seems to be a bad time to abandon m43 (although the Fuji draw is very strong within me too).

4. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Yep, dpreview seems a bit more reserved on AF with 4/3 lenses, (albeit still saying it's very good). That said, it sounds like they tested them substantially less than Ming Thein did. All the other impressions about AF from other sources seem very positive.

5. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    And that 40-150 lens ... drool worthy.

I gotta get a better job, start working overtime, maybe sell a kid or kidney ... something.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    What really piques my curiousity in this release is the 12-40 f2.8 lens. I like the form factor of the E-M5, in fact I love it, so I'd wait to see what the direct upgrade to the E-M5 is going to be. The on sensor PDAF is undoubtedly huge for many people, but is not the significant for most of what I do. Maybe a year two down the road, when prices drop or you can get a used E-M1, I'd pick one up to use with my honking big manual focus telephotos. I'm excited about the announcement, though. Olympus is putting out some very nice stuff, and as someone who began his real shooting career with an OM-1, I like seeing it that.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The reviews are giving me some serious GAS! I can't wait to get my hands on one! The ability to use my 50-200SWD and other 4/3 lenses like native lenses is enough for me to trade my E-M5 in for it!

8. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
  9. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I know I really, really shouldn't care... But I want a silver version =[ Unfortunately, I've seen no mention of one so far, even though admin said a silver variation will be available too. I don't tend to care about lens color much, but I'm a huge fan of the two tone bodies.

Alas, except for video and a single SD card slot, this is all much better than I expected. Now to figure out how I'm going to pay for it...

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Great review and sounds like an awesome camera...also...I called it. I knew it was going to be bigger, despite the initial leaks that it'll be the same size as the E-M5.

The E-M1 looks like a great piece of kit, but I'm going to stick with my E-M5 and wait for its replacement. :)

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Eh...I wasn't impressed with the Fuji's EVF, build quality or lack of lenses (where the heck are the UWA zoom and the 56 1.2 they've been talking about for a YEAR??!!). They keep releasing body after body, but continue having massive holes in their lens line-up.

12. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I remember just a month or two ago some fearmongers were saying the end of Micro 4/3rds is nigh, then first we get the GX7 and now this!!

13. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Looks impressive especially the 37 diamond shaped array PDAF that Ming Thein described. How about focus peaking though? Why not a base ISO similar to the EP5? The specs show the base to only ISO 200.

John S.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    For pixel-peepers

Looking at DPR's new studio comparo-meter, the EM5's RAW files look slightly better than the EM1.

15. The E-P5 also has a base ISO of 200, with ISO 100 being a software extension with reduced highlight dynamic range.

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    "What I don’t understand is the choice of ‘auto’, ‘photo story’, ‘art’ and ‘scene’ modes on the dial – this is billed as being a professional camera. Surely Olympus could put all of the hipstagram faff onto one position and given us a couple of quick-access customizable slots? A shame, if you ask me; time for the black marker…"

Wholeheartedly agree. Why Olympus is dragging its heels on a proper customizable slot or three is beyond me. My humble little Canon S100 (the size of a pack of cigarettes) that I bought years ago has a "C" slot...my 5D Mark II (introduced in 2008) had *THREE*!! (And yes, I used all three!). Come on, Olympus...

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I saw that...sheesh...I can't think of a single other camera (especially in its market/price range) that doesn't have at least ISO 100 (again...the top-level Canons have had ISO 50, and even consumer Canons like my little S100 start at ISO 80).

By the way, I'm not being an Oly hater/Canon fan boiii...I love my E-M5 and I happily gave up my 5D Mark II and a handful of L lenses to go to Olympus. No regrets. But there are some serious shortcomings in this E-M1, I think...especially considering it's aimed at the prosumer (or straight up pro) market.