First real workout for the Olympus OMD-EM5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by marcsitkin, Jul 5, 2013.

1. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I'm preparing for a three week shoot in Israel covering the Maccabiah games as a volunteer photographer for the USA team. In addition to the Canon DSLR gear I use for the sports coverage, I'm bringing a Micro 4/3 camera to do the rest of the touring and social event coverage. My hope is that the lighter M4/3 system will reduce the fatigue of carrying the big heavy Canons and let me get better photographs by staying more rested.

Here's the kit:

Olympus OMD-EM5 Micro 4/3

17mm f1.8 M.Zuiko lens
    20mm f1.7 Panasonic lens
    25mm f0.95 Voigtlander lens
    45mm f1.8 M.Zuiko lens
    75mm f1.8 M.Zuiko lens

14-42mm f3.5-5.6 M.Zuiko lens
    100-300mm f4-5.6 Panasonic lens

Olympus FL 600R Flash
    Tenba Messenger Bag
    Total weight: 11lbs

May add the 40-150 zoom as well.

More info on the kits and trips here:Blog -
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd say its going to be great fun!

What's the question or what is up for discussion?

AH! I see the link to your blog... not cool IMO.
  3. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Sorry about the lack of cool.

The discusion is about equipment choices and traveling a bit lighter. Feel free to move this to a different forum if you wish. I meant no offense.
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If I were in your shoes...

* I'd leave the 25mm Voigtlander f/0.95. I have a similar type lens in my primary camera system, 50mm f/1, and I keep it for artistic type photos but its value vs weight for journalist type photos is pretty unfavorable. Long focus throw, heavy, limited use, and you have a 17mm 20mm already. Yeh, its fast but its value is diminishing at that point.

* Leave the 14-42mm

* Do not bring the 40-150mm

If what you picture is 11bs, then you are missing all the other stuff that is necessary for assignment type tasks. Things like loads of batteries, extra media storage, extra AA batteries for that flash. I personally would also pack a better-beamer to make that flash more effective when in use with the 100-300. I generally also bring a second camera body and mount two different primes on each. I also would bring a tripod or monopod. If anything, they can be used to relieve your arms after a long day on assignment. Laptop? (I usually leave mine at the hotel).
  5. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Mark, please post some of your shots after you get back. Enjoy the schlep.
  6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    ^^^ agree with vtsteevo, please post some photos after and enjoy!

btw, i have no problem with the blog link, I'd rather that than reading that whole 13-page on this post :)
  7. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Good luck and enjoy the trip!