First portrait lens.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ShockTrooper, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ShockTrooper

ShockTrooper New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2011
    I intend to buy a portrait lens for my G2. I've found 2 that might be interesting:

- Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1:1,4
    - Canon FD 50mm 1:1,4

Both at a similar price (Rokkor is slightly cheaper). Which one will be better for me since I've never tried portrait photography yet.

If none of these, than what?
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure about what lens is better but Alan has a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 here for sale at just 19 dollars. Even though it's 1.8 and not 1.4 at that price it's a bargain.
  3. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I think one can get too bogged down in the minutiae of lens differences -- I know I certainly can! But the important thing is to simply get one and start shooting. There will be no appreciable difference between two fast fifty lenses that you would notice without a good deal of experience. Get a lens, work on the experience, and a year later fret the fine details.

I would choose based on condition and cost, factoring in which adapter might get more use in the future. Both will be fine portrait choices.
  4. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    I have a FD 50 F/1.4, which is great! I can recommend it, if you get a nice copy in good condition.

I use it almost exlusively with LCDVF 16:9:

Although, I must say, I have no idea whether that will be better than Minolta or not. I guess it is a good idea to think about which system has more used glass moving about..

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If one is better than the other it is just as likely to be from sample variance and age than from the design of either lens. I do have the Canon 50/1.4 and can highly recommend it, although to be honest I've never actually used it to take a portrait.

<a href="">" border="0" alt="Lucky.penguin - View my 'Canon nFD 50mm f1.4' set on Flickriver" title="Lucky.penguin - View my 'Canon nFD 50mm f1.4' set on Flickriver"/></a>

Canon new FD 50mm f1.4
  6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I would echo what's been said: any legacy 50+ mm lens will give good results. Price and condition are big factors.

Then there's ergonomics: Some lenses have the aperture ring at the end of the lens (eg Olympus OM). Others at the base. Some lenses are bigger. OM is one of the smallest in diameter, taking a 49mm filter. Oh, and for some the aperture is clockwise, others counter-clockwise.

If price is an issue, add the Hexanons to your list: both the 50s and 57s are available at great prices (these take 55mm filters).

Finally, as the sage says: Just do it!
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have the 50mm f/1.4. I originally had the older SSC version, but loved the lens so much I got the newer non-SSC (smaller and lighter).

For a legacy lens, even wide open it's plenty sharp for me. Until I got the ZD 50mm f/2 (for AF), the Canon was my lens of choice. I highly recommend the Canon 50mm f/1.4!
  8. ShockTrooper

ShockTrooper New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2011
    I found a nice macro lens (Minolta MD) so I think we have a winner.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
  9. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Gary Hanna
    Just got the 57mm 1.4 hexanon for 65$ on ebay - like it will probably upgrade to a 1.2 hopefully.