1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First Pictures with EP-1 and Panny 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by LiveInNewYork, Sep 27, 2010.

1. LiveInNewYork

LiveInNewYork New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2010
    The Queens, The City
    Hey Guys,
    Just got an ep-1 and the panasonic pancake, loving every minute with them. I shot some of these with no additional light at a dimly lit party, and others at New York's flatiron lounge (dark).
    Any ideas on how to improve the low-light photography? I'm doing this all handheld, don't really want to lug a tripod around with me!

Thanks so much, I appreciate any input, as I'm new to mu-43, and a recent convert from film to digital!!

Attached Files:

2. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hello LINY,

I also have an e-p1 and the 20mm - this is an excellent combination for compact low level available light photography already, really not much can beat it, especially considering size, weight and price...

However...

Low light auto focusing can be frustratingly slow, so I would advise getting to know the lens, and this only come with practice. Shoot with it, focusing manually, in good light, at the sort of ranges you would at a party (1-4 meters), and then go shoot with it some more.
    Then keep this up, all the time!

You will quickly find that you get a lot better at judging focus on the lcd, and faster at finding it. If you are shooting at the limit of the lcd to really display anything, you may have to rely on your good judgement, which will only come from this expereince.

Shoot monochrome.
    By ditching colour, you can produce pictures that look good (i.e. have acceptable noise) at higher ISOs. The e-p1's upper limit for shooting good colour is ISO 800 (this is subjective, but try it higher and see how you like it... you probably wont), whereas the monochrome "look" is far more tolerant, and you could probably push it up to ISO 3200 (again, ymmv, see what you're happy with).

Shutter speed.
    For any scene involving people, you have a minimum shutter speed variable depending on how much they are moving. If they are posed, you can probably get away with 1/3s maybe even 1/2s IF you have steady hands and eveyones sober!. For more candid shots, I would avoid trying to capture movement (sorry, but without a flash, you can't.) and keep the shutter faster than 1/10s, see how much movemement is too much movement.

For landscapes, you should brace the camera firmly agaisnt something, turn IS OFF (it actually blurs images when the camera is fixed immobile), keep the ISO lowish, and set your apeture to get whatever depth of field you want (5.7 is nice for the 20mm, v.sharp, and loads of DoF) and use whatever shutter speed you need (probably in the region of several seconds).

But whatever you do, enjoy yourself :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.